• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gkj

I travel alot with the company i work for, and recently had occupied a home in Indiana. I had a 6 months lease, which i fulfilled w/o default and also did not include a month to month carry over. After the lease was up we stayed for another 7 months, with no problem from the landlord. After we left i called about my deposit and we discussed 4 items in which were in need of repair, (KIDS)i agreed to the cost for repairs. She never sent my remaining security deposit, and instead sent me a bill for another $150 and said there would be more charges. Some of the charges are:repair linoeum ( which was damaged while removing her W/D, that was broke and she said she would pick up, but did not ) she is trying to charge me a pet deposit of $100 because my 15 year old cousin brought his dog over ONE weekend. she is trying to charge me $90 because there were too many nail holes in a bedroom, from hanging pictures up, she is trying to charge me $80 for a deteriorated brick THING, in which she had previously noted was a safety hazard and had promised to fix, and last but not least, $150 for carpet cleaning, there was no damage to the carpet except that of traffic dirt. ( we vacuumed before we left). isn't carpet cleaning and painting her responsibility as NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, after 13 months of rental. and since there was no active lease, what are we responsible for? Please give me some advice. I think i need it.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkj:
I travel alot with the company i work for, and recently had occupied a home in Indiana. I had a 6 months lease, which i fulfilled w/o default and also did not include a month to month carry over. After the lease was up we stayed for another 7 months, with no problem from the landlord. After we left i called about my deposit and we discussed 4 items in which were in need of repair, (KIDS)i agreed to the cost for repairs. She never sent my remaining security deposit, and instead sent me a bill for another $150 and said there would be more charges. Some of the charges are:repair linoeum ( which was damaged while removing her W/D, that was broke and she said she would pick up, but did not ) she is trying to charge me a pet deposit of $100 because my 15 year old cousin brought his dog over ONE weekend. she is trying to charge me $90 because there were too many nail holes in a bedroom, from hanging pictures up, she is trying to charge me $80 for a deteriorated brick THING, in which she had previously noted was a safety hazard and had promised to fix, and last but not least, $150 for carpet cleaning, there was no damage to the carpet except that of traffic dirt. ( we vacuumed before we left). isn't carpet cleaning and painting her responsibility as NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, after 13 months of rental. and since there was no active lease, what are we responsible for? Please give me some advice. I think i need it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are not responsible to pay any deposit pet or not. If some of those items were not caused by you, then you are not responsible. You would be responsible for carpet cleaning since dirt and stains are not considered wear and tear but plain and simple dirty carpet.

T

Tracey

She's way wrong. IC 32-7-5-12 says that L can only charge for damages caused by the tenant, not pre-existing conditions or normal wear & tear. Have an attorney write her a hammer letter demanding the deposit refund. email me if you have any further questions.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">