• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

another easement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chesterino

The people that sold us our house and property still own property behind ours. As part of the mortgate they included a 66' wide ingress/egress easement so they can access the property. The ingress/egress is owned by us. We live in Livingston county, Michigan.

I realize the law may vary from state-state bu my question is: Could I build on this ingress/egress as long as he can still access the landlocked property? I'm not trying to block his access, I just have a 66' x 500' strip of bare property that I'd like to use (to build a small shed, for example).

If I do build a shed and he decides he wants to build on the back property, do I have to move or tear down the shed if it's not impeding on a driveway?

HomeGuru

chesterino said:
The people that sold us our house and property still own property behind ours. As part of the mortgate they included a 66' wide ingress/egress easement so they can access the property. The ingress/egress is owned by us. We live in Livingston county, Michigan.

I realize the law may vary from state-state bu my question is: Could I build on this ingress/egress as long as he can still access the landlocked property? I'm not trying to block his access, I just have a 66' x 500' strip of bare property that I'd like to use (to build a small shed, for example).

If I do build a shed and he decides he wants to build on the back property, do I have to move or tear down the shed if it's not impeding on a driveway?
**A: read your easement agreement recorded on title.
In general, you are not allowed to build on an easement, especially one for ingress/egress. If there is no provision in the easement document, then State law applies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">