• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any recourse to my bad settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

exisadog

What is the name of your state? Virginia - I've been divorced for 8 years. The mortgage and deed are in my ex-wife's and my name. At the time of the settlement, I thought we'd sell the house and split the proceeds. The settlement says that I'm responsible for all mortgage payments and upkeep until it sells and then have to split proceeds with my ex. I decided to rent it instead of selling and my ex said she didn't want anything out of it - just wanted to be done with it. Now she wants to sell it and follow the settlement which says to "divide proceeds equally." She hasn't paid anything on it or its upkeep for 8 years. I built the equity and she gets the reward. Is there any way out since circumstances changed after the initial settlement?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Nope. It was your decision to keep the property instead of selling it - - and all the while, the clock just kept ticking away.

She is not responsible for your bad judgment and of the contract terms you agreed to 8 years ago. But now, she's smart enough to capitalize on your mistake.

So, to answer your question, a deal is a deal, and a contract is a contract. Sell, and pay her.

That's all you can do.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">