• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

apartment break in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vespa7

About three years ago, I had lived in an apartment complex with my boyfriend. We had gang bangers move in across from us. The cops were at the complex everynight. One night my boyfriend said if you here gun fire roll on the floor..( We had a 5 month old son at the time) I had enough..We had 2/3 months left on our lease.. We went and stayed at my parents for a week.. When we returned to the apartment..everything was fine. We went shopping and when we came home the apartment had been broken into, they got about 20k. We called the landlord, informed him..they sent out a maintenance tech to rig the door to stay shut. I was not staying there. We had complained numerous times to the management about our safety.. We moved out that night. We left at about 1 am..At 3am there was a shooting, which ended up in death, in right in front of our apartment.

We have been out of there about 1 year, when we received a call from the collection agency stating that we owe them for breaking the lease. I explained our point, he said that if you had a problem with your neighbors, you should have taken them to court. Our complex was an innocent bystander. If we go to court can we beat the complex?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vespa7:
About three years ago, I had lived in an apartment complex with my boyfriend. We had gang bangers move in across from us. The cops were at the complex everynight. One night my boyfriend said if you here gun fire roll on the floor..( We had a 5 month old son at the time) I had enough..We had 2/3 months left on our lease.. We went and stayed at my parents for a week.. When we returned to the apartment..everything was fine. We went shopping and when we came home the apartment had been broken into, they got about 20k. We called the landlord, informed him..they sent out a maintenance tech to rig the door to stay shut. I was not staying there. We had complained numerous times to the management about our safety.. We moved out that night. We left at about 1 am..At 3am there was a shooting, which ended up in death, in right in front of our apartment.

We have been out of there about 1 year, when we received a call from the collection agency stating that we owe them for breaking the lease. I explained our point, he said that if you had a problem with your neighbors, you should have taken them to court. Our complex was an innocent bystander. If we go to court can we beat the complex?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not. You have valid reasons for moving out and had every right to. The problem is that you failed to notify your landlord pursuant to State law that you were breaking your lease prematurely and the reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">