• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

discostu

I recently signed a 1 year lease for a basement apartment. I have found that there is a moldy "basement" smell in the apartment. I did not notice this when I looked at the apartment, but it was probably there. When I moved in the apartment was not cleaned (though the landlord claims it was)and the rugs were filthy. I now find that I am unable to live there any longer. I have been sick since the day I moved in(of course I can not prove that this is because of the apartment). The landlord has offered to clean the rugs but I feel this is now a major inconvenience to me, and should have been done before I got there. I now wish to just find a new place. I have spoken to the landlord and he says that I must go through his Real Estate agent and have her find a new tenant to take over the lease. The problem is that I can not seem to get her to call me back, and am now extremeley limited in looking for a new place since everything is up in the air. My questions are these: Can I just leave do medical reasons and recover my last months rent that the landlord has? Can I reasonably expect the realtor I went through to assume some responsibilty for this and either refund the 1 month rent I paid her as a fee, or have her find me an apartment with no fee? Do I have a recourse for the 1 months rent I am currently paying due to the living conditions?
Thank You

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by discostu:
I recently signed a 1 year lease for a basement apartment. I have found that there is a moldy "basement" smell in the apartment. I did not notice this when I looked at the apartment, but it was probably there. When I moved in the apartment was not cleaned (though the landlord claims it was)and the rugs were filthy. I now find that I am unable to live there any longer. I have been sick since the day I moved in(of course I can not prove that this is because of the apartment). The landlord has offered to clean the rugs but I feel this is now a major inconvenience to me, and should have been done before I got there. I now wish to just find a new place. I have spoken to the landlord and he says that I must go through his Real Estate agent and have her find a new tenant to take over the lease. The problem is that I can not seem to get her to call me back, and am now extremeley limited in looking for a new place since everything is up in the air. My questions are these: Can I just leave do medical reasons and recover my last months rent that the landlord has? Can I reasonably expect the realtor I went through to assume some responsibilty for this and either refund the 1 month rent I paid her as a fee, or have her find me an apartment with no fee? Do I have a recourse for the 1 months rent I am currently paying due to the living conditions?
Thank You
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can ask the real estate agent for a refund or have her find another place for you to rent. You have a right to cancel your lease if there are moldy smells caused by water/moisture infiltration into the basement due to the below-grade condition. There may be hazardous mold growing in the walls.
It is time for you to send certified letters.

T

Tracey

See if you can get a note from your MD stating that the mold in the basement is making you ill. Then you can invoke the 'material threat to tenant's health or safety' law & terminate the lease in 10 days or so, depending on state law. Also, ask the health department to come test the air/mold.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">