• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Lease in City of Baltimore, MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fonz

Hello, 3 months ago I moved to the city of Baltimore MD to take a job, while my wife who has one more year of college stayed behind. I signed a one year lease because I didn't really have much choice. Now I find out my wife can graduate early by taking one class somewhere else, the credits transfer and she gets her degree. Here's my problem, my apartment is one room, we obviously need more room. My landlord says there is no way he can let me out of my lease. Do I have any options other than living 2 people in one room and renting storage space. My wifes landlord said sure no problem about getting out of here leases. My landlord is being a jerk, but do I have any rights at all to break the lease or is there anything I can do.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fonz:
Hello, 3 months ago I moved to the city of Baltimore MD to take a job, while my wife who has one more year of college stayed behind. I signed a one year lease because I didn't really have much choice. Now I find out my wife can graduate early by taking one class somewhere else, the credits transfer and she gets her degree. Here's my problem, my apartment is one room, we obviously need more room. My landlord says there is no way he can let me out of my lease. Do I have any options other than living 2 people in one room and renting storage space. My wifes landlord said sure no problem about getting out of here leases. My landlord is being a jerk, but do I have any rights at all to break the lease or is there anything I can do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another option is to find a replacement tenant on your own to help the landlord or move out and be responsible for the rent until the landlord finds a new tenant. You have a right to break the lease and the landlord has the right to hold you responsible. The landlord even if a jerk can not force you to live there.

B

Barky

I am not a lawyer but, I had the exact same problem. In Baltimore too, as a matter of fact. I needed to get out of my lease 6 months early. I made an arrangement with my landlord that I would be responsible for the rent until he found someone else to rent it. Luckily, there was a waiting list to get in this particular complex so, I was out within a week. Certainly, your landlord could make the same arrangement with you. If you are like most of us, you cannot afford to pay two rents. Maybe your landlord does not want to take the time or go through the trouble of finding a new tenant. Perhaps you could help in this aspect. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">