• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appropriate security deposit withholdings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rickyh

My ex-landlord returned part of my security deposit recently. I was under the impression that the deposit could only be used, under Oregon law, for those things that are considered beyond "normal wear and tear." We spent a week cleaning the place before we moved out, and now we're being charged $250 for cleaning. We're also being charged $150 to replace a sink with a dime-sized chip in the porcelain. Are these things considered beyond normal wear and tear??

Thanks-
Ricky

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rickyh:
My ex-landlord returned part of my security deposit recently. I was under the impression that the deposit could only be used, under Oregon law, for those things that are considered beyond "normal wear and tear." We spent a week cleaning the place before we moved out, and now we're being charged $250 for cleaning. We're also being charged $150 to replace a sink with a dime-sized chip in the porcelain. Are these things considered beyond normal wear and tear??

Thanks-
Ricky
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite possibly your cleaning was not up to par and you caused the damage to the sink, so you pay.

T

Tracey

However, if L just does that amount of cleaning at the end of every tenancy, it's normal wear & tear, not damages. Also, porcelain can be repaired. You might be able to argue that L failed to mitigate his damages by repairing the sink. Scuffs & scrapes in the sink are normal, from washing dishes. Big chunks are not. Any chance the chip was due to a defective sink or did you drop a pot in there?

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">