• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

apt different from listing, lease signed, starts in 3 days!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rays

I have just recently signed a lease for an apartment in chicago. When I first viewed the apartment 1 month ago, the apt. was unfinished. The apt. is a new construction. I was told that the apt. included a washer and dryer in unit. Now, yesterday the landlord informed me that he is not going to install a washer and dryer. To add to this, the starting lease date is aug. 1st (3 days from now). I like the apt. and I don't want to spend the time looking for another one. Plus, I need a place to move into on the 1st. I would like for the owner to install a washer and dryer or compensate me by deducting from the monthly rent. I am wondering what merit I have and what my options are. Also, am I jeopardizing my claim at all by moving in this Tuesday?

Thank You,

------------------
RAY

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rays:
I have just recently signed a lease for an apartment in chicago. When I first viewed the apartment 1 month ago, the apt. was unfinished. The apt. is a new construction. I was told that the apt. included a washer and dryer in unit. Now, yesterday the landlord informed me that he is not going to install a washer and dryer. To add to this, the starting lease date is aug. 1st (3 days from now). I like the apt. and I don't want to spend the time looking for another one. Plus, I need a place to move into on the 1st. I would like for the owner to install a washer and dryer or compensate me by deducting from the monthly rent. I am wondering what merit I have and what my options are. Also, am I jeopardizing my claim at all by moving in this Tuesday?

Thank You,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The unfinished condition of the property has no bearing on what appliances you think was to be rented with the property. Notwithstanding the under construction project, you could have specified and rechecked the written lease agreement under the section that reads, "appliances included in the rental unit" to be sure you rented the unit with the washer/dryer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">