• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked seller to fix, but still doesn't work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ana33

Hi there. I recently purchased a home and when we had the inspection done, they found that the hot water coming into the shower was not hot enough, just lukewarm. The inspector told us that there were a variety of ways we could fix it. I asked the seller to fix this before I bought the house, and she of course, chose the cheapest method of fixing it. I really didn't complain at the time, as long as I got hot water, I didn't care how it was done. Well, I've been living there for over 2 months now, and I've probably had about half a dozen hot showers in that entire time. The water is lukewarm at best and I've had it. I'm just wondering if the seller could still be responsible for fixing this. I'm not out to get money out of her, but of course, if she's liable for fixing it, then I might look into it. What do you guys think? Appreciate your help!

HomeGuru

The Seller is not responsible unless whomever did the fix did not do a good job. Then the Seller should call the repair person back. If the Seller hired an unlicensed incompetent handyman to do a licensed plumbing journeyman's job, then it is your loss for not being specifc with your repair request. If the State requires a contractors license to repair water heaters and plumbing problems, then the seller can be accused of hiring an unlicensed contractor to save money.

Here is a lesson to be learned. Next time a situation like this comes up, choose the best method of repair and put into the contract "Seller shall hire a licensed plumbing contractor to repair the hot water problem to conform with acceptable standards and plumbing codes. A paid invoice shall be given to the Buyer within 5 days of completion of the work. Buyer shall have 5 days thereafter to approve of the work in writing........"

vrzirn

My guess is the cheapest way chosen was a new sacrificial rod after draining the heater.The best way is a new water heater. The old one is probably filled with decomposition from the ceramic lining and you are heating less water and a lot of junk.

I am not a plumber(except on people), nor do I play one on t.v. You should consult a real one for expert advice. I do not think the state in which you reside is pertinent.

A

Ana33

Ya I figured I probably didn't have a case - I just thought there might be a slim chance. This was my first home and I didn't have a realtor working on my side, so I guess if this is the least of my problems, then it's not too bad.

vrzim - pretty close. The only thing that was done was some coil was replaced on the boiler. It is a tankless water heater, and it's pretty old and I've been told years of buildup in this coil in there is not letting water heat up properly, or something to that effect. I was told I need an indirect water heater or just get a brand new boiler. I don't know what to do financially because they are both so expensive! I just wish I had known this before I bought the house, because the seller got away with paying very little to "fix" this, but now I see it's going to cost a lot more. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Thanks for the info.

HomeGuru

It ia apparent that the fix was not proper. You have an option of suing the Seller in Small Claims Court.

vrzirn

Because it is a tankless heater, you are never going to get a lot of hot water out of it., no matter what the commercial says.
You do not mention your state, but if it is practical you would be happier with a 50 gal tank heated with gas (or electric if the rates are low) They are less expensive and give lots of hot water.
I would sue the seller as suggested.

Last edited:
A

Ana33

Problem with getting a gas heater is that I have oil in my house - no gas at all. And I think the electric would be too expensive. I just have to wonder about this whole thing - the house was used as a rental property before I bought it - I find it extremely strange that no previous tenants complained about not having hot water before the inspector noticed. I wonder if the seller knew and just chose to basically put a band-aid on the problem knowing that once that house was mine it would be my problem.

BTW - I'm in Rhode Island

vrzirn

How about propane? You can rent the tank and just pay for the gas; the hookup should not cost too much. If you have a yard you can put it on the far side behind a nice wall.
Then you buy a hot water heater-50 gal and Voila!

FarmerJ

ANA if you find you have to just pay for new install your self .And if you do decide electric contact your electric utility to see if they have a Off peak program for hot water heating ,I have That here its great I have a mixing valve on the top of heater to premix for heat conservation and its great It comes on for short cycles 3 or 4 times a day and has full use of power all night Till 7am and pay about 6.00 per month for my hot water for 2 adults /showers /dishes /laundry No problem / for short time a family member and her family was here so there were 7 of us and we still had plenty hot water and cost wasnt that much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">