• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assessment on land that did not sell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimmy Williams

What is the name of your state? New York

I own a 6 acre parcel of land. In April 2007, I had a purchase offer of a sub-divided one acre parcel. I had the land surveyed and at closing, the buyer backed out in August 2007.
In March 2008, I get assessed for the new one acre parcel at the selling price. The Town says they can do nothing until next year when the one acre parcel can be put back into the parent parcel. In the mean time I will have to pay the taxes on the one acre parcel. This is a waterfront parcel and the selling price was $80,000.

justalayman

I presume you actually subdivided the property already, yes?

Not sure I would have done things the way you did. I would have not filed the division until closing making it actually part of the closing paperwork.

But, that is the past. Not much you can do until next year then.

seniorjudge

I presume you actually subdivided the property already, yes?

Not sure I would have done things the way you did. I would have not filed the division until closing making it actually part of the closing paperwork.

But, that is the past. Not much you can do until next year then.
Good point.

Just how did the tax barons know about this deal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">