• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Association Troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jontaylor_us

Hello, my situation is as follows: I rent a townhouse from my mother-in-law (who is the legal owner) and the association who oversees the townhomes has become increasingly troublesome for me. For the last four months I have been receiving letters from them complaining of minor infractions on my part - wrong color paint on my door, faded flower pots, etc... I have corrected every complaint immediately as I am not looking for problems. However, yesterday I received a new copy of the Rules and Regulations related to the association and they just passed new bylaws concerning pets. The rules I'm concerned about state you can't have more than 2 pets, no Beware of Dog postings and any dog thought to be a "nuisance" can be removed. Now, I moved into this place on June 15, 1998 with my two dogs and 2 cats. My pets have not caused any harm to anyone (never bitten anyone, never allowed outside without a leash and my presence) and the Beware of Dog sign was posted to prevent people from walking up to my patio and petting my dogs, just in case something was to happen. Now I am just waiting for more complaints from the association. My question is this: Is it legal for the association to impose rules that aren't a local law? My city allows three dogs and three cats in any single family house (which is what our townhouse is considered). What is my recourse if they decide to pursue enforcement against me? Can I "quit" the association? Sue? Thank you very much for your advice.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jontaylor_us:
Hello, my situation is as follows: I rent a townhouse from my mother-in-law (who is the legal owner) and the association who oversees the townhomes has become increasingly troublesome for me. For the last four months I have been receiving letters from them complaining of minor infractions on my part - wrong color paint on my door, faded flower pots, etc... I have corrected every complaint immediately as I am not looking for problems. However, yesterday I received a new copy of the Rules and Regulations related to the association and they just passed new bylaws concerning pets. The rules I'm concerned about state you can't have more than 2 pets, no Beware of Dog postings and any dog thought to be a "nuisance" can be removed. Now, I moved into this place on June 15, 1998 with my two dogs and 2 cats. My pets have not caused any harm to anyone (never bitten anyone, never allowed outside without a leash and my presence) and the Beware of Dog sign was posted to prevent people from walking up to my patio and petting my dogs, just in case something was to happen. Now I am just waiting for more complaints from the association. My question is this: Is it legal for the association to impose rules that aren't a local law? My city allows three dogs and three cats in any single family house (which is what our townhouse is considered). What is my recourse if they decide to pursue enforcement against me? Can I "quit" the association? Sue? Thank you very much for your advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Association can pass regulations that are stricter than the governments. You are not a member of the association so you can not quit" but your Mom is a member by virtue of property ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">