• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auction Surplus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RichS

I had a forclosure on a property that I owned and at auction there was a surplus of funds. I filed a motion for "Turnover of Surplus". I am representing myself because the surplus amount is too small to retain an attorney. So I was hoping that someone could kind of "walk" me through what to expect in court. There is a twist with this case - There were two other parties involved in ownership. One was my brother and the third party I can not find. Am I going to have a hard time collecting the surplus because I can not contact the third party? Is there something that I can do about that before the case is heard? This was just a basic partnership (there was no formal written ageement drawn up). Any advise would be great!

HomeGuru

Escrow or the closing attorney is required to by law to cut the check in the names of all the title -holders unless otherwise directed by the Court or foreclosure Trustee.
Talk to these people and see if you can figure out your share and request that they cut a separate check to you and the other party, leaving the balance in escrow for the unknown third party.
Tell them you are willing to sign a hold harmless and indemnification agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">