• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bare land purchase & unclear title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reinermom

What is the name of your state?CA

We approached the owner (who also happens to be a real estate agent) of the bare land adjacent to ours. She has agreed to sell, however, there is some problem in clearing title. The owner apparently carried the note of the mortage about 10 years ago for some people who came upon some IRS or legal problems, including a BK (for which they apparently did not include this bare land property, nor the owner carrying the note). The owner has paid the back taxes and has paid the property tax on this property for almost 10 years now but never foreclosed on the people she held the note for, and has ultimately lost track of them. Any suggestions on which road to travel to get this title cleared. For an agent she seems a bit lost on what do, as she cannot find the people to have then simply deed it back to her...they never paid her for the property and its been approximately 10 years (maybe more). I was thinking of tracking them through the BK court as she said they did file (but as I said above, she said she wasn't noted as a creditor). Can I look them up by name at BK court, or do I need Social Security # do to that, as well (she never got their SS numbers either). Thought perhaps the lawyer had some info on them he might share or at least a different address to track them down by. I'm kind of doing the leg work for this agent, she's getting a bit older but still is very active in her local real estate transactions and the property is in a different county in CA. Thanks for any help...

S

seniorjudge

Reinermom said:
...Any suggestions on which road to travel to get this title cleared....
Yes.

Your best route is to have a title company do a search on the property and tell you what needs to be done to clear up the title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">