• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brockway

My husband and I sold a house in Sept. 2001 that we had lived in for 3 years. In the three years that we lived there, we had one incident in which the sewer line had to be routered (spelling?) out because it was overflowing when the washing machine drained. The procedure was done one year before the house was put on the market and we never had a problem with it again. It was only my husband and myself in the house. Three weeks after the closing of the house, the new owners called us and told us that they were having a problem with the sewer backing up. We told them that we had had it routered once but that because they were a family of 8 using approximately 4 times the amount of water that we had, that it had probably become an issue. They have since had it routered 5 times in 5 months. They were told by one of the companies that did the procedure that there wer tree roots in the line but it was causing more of a problem than normal because the line leaving the house was six inches smaller in diameter than the one running into the sewer system. Mys husband and I were never aware of such a thing. Last week they called us and told us that they had had it inspected and the sewer pipe is cracked and will need to be replaced. We didn't disclose the cleaning that we had done because it didn't occur to us that we needed to disclose routine maintainence procedures. The problem had been taken care of as far as we were concerned. Are we responsible for some or all of the repairs needed?

B

brockway

We live in Michigan.

Also, the buyers waived on a personal inspection because they couldn't afford it.

HomeGuru

The waiver of the Buyer's home inspection does not in any way lessen your obligation as Seller to properly disclose material facts pursuant to State property condition disclosure laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">