• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Both names on mortgage but wedding is off

• Thread starter Matthew B. Goodyear
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Matthew B. Goodyear

My fiancee and I bought a house which I pay for, but both our names are on the deed and mortgage. Since she does not contribute financially, now that the wedding is off, she's "agreed" to move out. One excuse after another, I realize now she is not going to leave in the hopes of a reconcilliation. I want her gone. What can I legally do? We live in Florida.

T

Tracey

Nothing. Her name is on the deed, so she has just as much right to be there as you. On the other hand, you have a right to have any guests you want. Move in a new gf & be obnoxiously sweet. Or move in your friend whom she can't stand. She'll leave in disgust & agree to deed the place over to you.

If you don't like those options, sue her in court to partition the house by sale. The court sale costs will eat up any equity you have & BOTH of you will end up owing $$ to the court. You can buy the house oon your own. When given a choice between giving you the deed for free or having to pay a court to force her to give you the deed, she should pick the one that won't cost her money.

Next time, either get married first or draw up a contract that specifies what happens if you split up -- who gets to buy out the other on what terms.

She may be refusing to sign the deed in part because she's on the mortgage. Offer to assume her part of the mortgage so that she has no liability for th edebt if she deeds her interest in the house to you. You'll need to hire a real estate attorney to help.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

X

xx

Have sex with your new g/f in her bed and leave some evidence around. I am sure a used condom on her pillow will make her think twice about staying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">