• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought home with illegal septic system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmet4nzkx

Only in Indiana.
Perhaps you can grow tomatoes without planting seeds.
They actually have people who do repair and maintance on septic systems, I suggest you let your fingers do the walking and call them.
Send your neighbor a bill for fertilizer for their tomato farm.

http://www.monstermoving.monster.com/living_and_shopping/LAS_Article/SepticCesspoolSystemBasics.asp

Septic & Cesspool System Basics

SEPTIC SYSTEM BASICS

There are two basic components to a septic system

1. The septic tank
2. The leaching field (soil absorption area)

Here is the how the septic system works:

1. Waste flows from the home into the septic tank.
2. Organic solids float to the top and inorganic solids sink to the bottom of the tank.
3. Natural occurring bacteria in the septic tank converts the organic solids to liquid.
4. The clear liquid in between the "solids" and "sludge" layers flows into the leaching field.

How does a septic system fail? SOLID BUILD-UP!
By not servicing and maintaining your system properly, solids build up within the septic system and flow into the leaching field. This clogs the leaching field and could permanently destroy the field.

As well, household cleaners like detergents, toilet cleaners, bleach, and disinfectants kill the natural bacteria in the septic tank.

CESSPOOL SYSTEM BASICS
Here is the how the cesspool system works:

1. Waste flows from the home into the cesspool.
2. Organic solids float to the top and inorganic solids sink to the bottom of the tank.
3. Natural occurring bacteria in the cesspool converts the organic solids to liquid.
4. The clear liquid flows out the sides of the tank and into the surrounding soil.

How does a cesspool system fail? SOLID BUILD-UP!
By not servicing and maintaining your system properly, solids build up within the tank and clog the pores of the cesspool walls. This will prevent liquid from escaping the tank into the surrounding soil. In addition, the presence of inorganic household substances in the tank, like toilet cleaners, bleach, and anti-bacterial soaps will also turn into solids, clog the cesspool walls, and cause a system overflow.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Pick up your phone book and call your local septic tank pumping service and get that tank pumped out . and every year have it done in the spring time so that over the course of the summer months the tank can build up new bacterial growth that will help break down solids . If your tank is regularly pumped every spring the bacterial action will help in the winter months by helping to prevent your tank from freezing up . If that system has been there for many years likely it isnt illegal it just doesnt meet new code, if new code compliance is ever required at the time of the sale of the property . In rural areas at one time that type of system was very common and ill bet if you talk with more of the older home residents in your area you will find out how many wierd things people did in rural areas to create septic systems . NOW if you really want to educate your self contact your countys zoning offices and learn what will be required should you have to install a new septic system so you will be prepared .

rmet4nzkx

But FarmerJ, OP doesn't want to pay to maintain his own cesspool he believes that ignorance IS a defense. OP is full of it, his cup runeth over ;)
......."My question is this. Are there any laws protecting me, as a first time FHA home buyer, from being responsible for this? I had a home inspection and they didn't even notice that I had an illegal septic system. I don't get it. Also, an FHA inspector came out and gave this house his OK. The FHA inspector made me scrape all the loose pain on the house and paint it before he would give the house his okay, but somehow he missed the fact that raw sewage water gets dumped out on top of my yard!"

jimfox

I'm sorry I came here for help. You folks don't want to help anyone you just want to smart off. God help you.

I won't be coming back here to read anymore of your thoughtless and sarcastic replies. You need to repent of your ways. You will have to answer to your maker someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">