• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought home with illegal septic system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimfox

Hello... About four years ago I purchased my home with an FHA loan, here in Indiana. I have since realized that the septic system utilizes an open, above ground drain field. This is merely a long shallow ditch that runs across the middle of my back yard. This would normally be underground. This ditch runs the entire width of my yard, goes under a gravel road through a big pipe and across the outer edge of the neighbor’s yard and into a pond behind their house!

While walking the property while I was having the home inpection, my realtor casually told me that the ditch was for a perimeter drain system that received rain water from the roof gutters. While it might have worked like that at one time, it also, without doubt, is connected to my septic tank!

I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that a septic system, DESIGNED to dump raw sewage water (unfiltered overflow from septic tank) on the top of the ground, is illegal. What do you think?

My question is this. Are there any laws protecting me, as a first time FHA home buyer, from being responsible for this? I had a home inspection and they didn't even notice that I had an illegal septic system. I don't get it. Also, an FHA inspector came out and gave this house his OK. The FHA inspector made me scrape all the loose pain on the house and paint it before he would give the house his okay, but somehow he missed the fact that raw sewage water gets dumped out on top of my yard!

I will GREATLY appreciate any advice that I can get. I want to know if I have a case here.

Thank you!
Jimfox

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jimfox said:
Hello... About four years ago I purchased my home with an FHA loan, here in Indiana. I have since realized that the septic system utilizes an open, above ground drain field. This is merely a long shallow ditch that runs across the middle of my back yard. This would normally be underground. This ditch runs the entire width of my yard, goes under a gravel road through a big pipe and across the outer edge of the neighbor’s yard and into a pond behind their house!

While walking the property while I was having the home inpection, my realtor casually told me that the ditch was for a perimeter drain system that received rain water from the roof gutters. While it might have worked like that at one time, it also, without doubt, is connected to my septic tank!

I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that a septic system, DESIGNED to dump raw sewage water (unfiltered overflow from septic tank) on the top of the ground, is illegal. What do you think?

My question is this. Are there any laws protecting me, as a first time FHA home buyer, from being responsible for this? I had a home inspection and they didn't even notice that I had an illegal septic system. I don't get it. Also, an FHA inspector came out and gave this house his OK. The FHA inspector made me scrape all the loose pain on the house and paint it before he would give the house his okay, but somehow he missed the fact that raw sewage water gets dumped out on top of my yard!

I will GREATLY appreciate any advice that I can get. I want to know if I have a case here.

Thank you!
Jimfox

My response:

So, what are you saying? You've got turds floating across your yard?

IAAL

panzertanker

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

So, what are you saying? You've got turds floating across your yard?

IAAL
What doesn't make sense to me is that he states it runs into his neighbors pond after going under a road. Unless he has a small harem of women and children flushing the toilet non-stop, How in the world can you get your turds all the way across your yard, under a road and through your neighbor's yard to their pond?

Talk about having a commercial toilet with excellent water pressure!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

panzertanker said:
What doesn't make sense to me is that he states it runs into his neighbors pond after going under a road. Unless he has a small harem of women and children flushing the toilet non-stop, How in the world can you get your turds all the way across your yard, under a road and through your neighbor's yard to their pond?

Talk about having a commercial toilet with excellent water pressure!

My response:

Yeah, I know!

And, on top of all this, he's been living there for 4 years, and just noticed it!

Must be one hellofa backyard - - one that looks like a swamp!

This has GOT to be a trailer park. What do you think?

IAAL

panzertanker

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Yeah, I know!

And, on top of all this, he's been living there for 4 years, and just noticed it!

Must be one hellofa backyard - - one that looks like a swamp!

This has GOT to be a trailer park. What do you think?

IAAL
I actually think it might be a trailer that was bricked in. That would explain the FHA loan.

I kind of would like to think that I would have noticed my own turds and floral patterned toilet paper lying all about in my backyard. And in a little less than 4 years. 2 tops.

Not to mention the neighbor must have one hell of a sinus infection to not notice the stench when he takes a skinny dip in his pond on fridays...

I make a motion to nominate this post for your contest. Any seconds on the motion?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

robertjc said:
I am Bob from Nevada with a quest. relating to Tennessee. I found an old question re; sibling rights. My wife was abandoned by her father in 1968 when she was 4. She has been searching for him for the past 15 years (she is now 40). She has absolutely no motive other than to fill a void in her life. At this age (the father is now 62) she thought if found there may be a possibility for an adult relationship. He left her due to differences with her mother (his wife at the time). She found him, sadly he is what one would expect a man to be who left two young daughters and never looked back. Amazingly, he has been in a relationship/marriage with the same woman since 1972. Since finding and calling him in Oct.2004, my wife had been able to have written communication with his wife.(He has refused to communicate in any way). She recently wrote that he has forbid her from communicating with my wife (HIS DAUGHTER) any further. My question is: My wife has discovered that she and her sister have a 22 year old half-brother. He is their only child and does not know that his two half-sisters exist. Does he (the father) have any legal right to prohibit my wife from introducing herself to her brother? If the brother does not want any further communication with my wife she is okay with that. She would enjoy being a generous older sister and her grown children would enjoy knowing their "younger uncle".

My response:

You have got to be kidding, right?

Look at my answers, above, and you want ME to respond to you?

I don't think so . . .

IAAL

panzertanker

robertjc said:
I am Bob from Nevada with a quest. relating to Tennessee. I found an old question re; sibling rights. My wife was abandoned by her father in 1968 when she was 4. She has been searching for him for the past 15 years (she is now 40). She has absolutely no motive other than to fill a void in her life. At this age (the father is now 62) she thought if found there may be a possibility for an adult relationship. He left her due to differences with her mother (his wife at the time). She found him, sadly he is what one would expect a man to be who left two young daughters and never looked back. Amazingly, he has been in a relationship/marriage with the same woman since 1972. Since finding and calling him in Oct.2004, my wife had been able to have written communication with his wife.(He has refused to communicate in any way). She recently wrote that he has forbid her from communicating with my wife (HIS DAUGHTER) any further. My question is: My wife has discovered that she and her sister have a 22 year old half-brother. He is their only child and does not know that his two half-sisters exist. Does he (the father) have any legal right to prohibit my wife from introducing herself to her brother? If the brother does not want any further communication with my wife she is okay with that. She would enjoy being a generous older sister and her grown children would enjoy knowing their "younger uncle".
Dude, start your own thread and maybe you will get an answer, but the crystal ball ( I currently have it on loan from a senior member) says "it ain't likely!"

jimfox

First of all, I am a bit surprised that only jerks have responded so far... Why don't you smart @sses get a life? I feel sorry for you that you don't have anything better to do than to smart off to people who are looking for honest advice. You sound like delinquent teenagers. I’m sure your mother’s would be proud of you.

All of the water that is used in my house goes into the ditch. That is why it can traverse the entire yard. Also, the yard has a V shape to it with the ditch being in the middle of the V, and the rain that hits the yard runs toward the ditch.

I didn't say that I "just" now noticed the problem. Maybe you should try to read what people say before showing your ignorance. I have avoided taking action on this for fear that the Board of Health might force me to fix it, when I do not have the money to fix it. But with the problem getting worse now, I've decided to try and take action regardless.

Also -- if you would have read more closely, you might have noticed that I said "raw sewage WATER" not "turds". However, as I mentioned, it is getting worse. I am now seeing bits of toilet paper coming out into the ditch.

panzertanker

jimfox said:
Hello... About four years ago I purchased my home with an FHA loan, here in Indiana. I have since realized that the septic system utilizes an open, above ground drain field.
Jimfox
I read it correctly. You state that you JUST figured it out.

jimfox said:
Thank you!
You're welcome!

panzertanker

jimfox said:
First of all, I am a bit surprised that only jerks have responded so far... Why don't you smart @sses get a life?
I have a great life, Thanks!

jimfox said:
I feel sorry for you that you don't have anything better to do than to smart off to people who are looking for honest advice.
Dude, you should not feel sorry for me. My house has a fully functioning septic system and I do not have toilet paper and turds in my backyard. You, on the other hand, DO.

Who should feel sorry for whom???

jimfox

Well panzer, what part of, "I have SINCE realized" causes you to jump to the conclusion that I "just" discovered it? You might benifit from taking a critical thinking class...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Signs Your Yard Has An Open Septic System - -

NUMBER 10: Your home is referred to as "The Big Smelly".

NUMBER 9: When you have barbecues, you don't go out to buy any meat.

NUMBER 8: Your kid floats his toy boat and plays "Crap Titanic".

NUMBER 7: Do I really feel like draining this crap?

NUMBER 6: Your seller was heard saying, "Holy crap! I'm actually getting away with it!"

NUMBER 5: Hmmmm. Looks like crap. Smells like crap. Sure glad I didn't step in it!

NUMBER 4: There's a Manatee in my septic system! Oh, that's just a big turd.

NUMBER 3: It's the same thing as what you get when you drink the water in Mexico.

NUMBER 2: Now you know why the Sparkletts truck backs up to your house.

AND NOW, the NUMBER ONE Sign Your Yard Has An Open Septic System - -

Tap water now available in "Chunky-style"!

IAAL

panzertanker

jimfox said:
Well panzer, what part of, "I have SINCE realized" causes you to jump to the conclusion that I "just" discovered it? You might benifit from taking a critical thinking class...
And OBVIOUSLY the critical thinking class YOU took helped you to make the decision to allow raw sewage to flow into your backyard for 4 years!

I did use critical thinking when reading and responding to your post:

Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action. In its exemplary form, it is based on universal intellectual values that transcend subject matter divisions: clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness.

Utilizing the critical thinking process, I was able to analyze and evaluate the information from your communication (your post) to come to the realization that you are a moron.

That becomes apparent when you reinforce my assessment by correcting me as to 'since' and 'just'.
If you had 'just' figured it out, I would at least have more respect for you in knowing that you were quickly trying to rectify the problem.
But, you are taking the stance that you have found the problem 'since' buying the house, then you have known about the problem for a longer period of time. Thus allowing more raw sewage to accumulate in your backyard!

I won't even broach the subject of your admission that you have known about this problem but are worried you will be "forced to fix it by the Board of Health"...

panzertanker

jimfox said:
Also -- if you would have read more closely, you might have noticed that I said "raw sewage WATER" not "turds".
So you don't crap at home?
jimfox said:
(unfiltered overflow from septic tank)
You think I believe that your not seeing turds in your backyard makes it better that ONLY your piss is being deposited in your backyard?

BWAHAHAAAA!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">