• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bought home with no permits and faulty septic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mt jones

What is the name of your state? indiana-my husband purchased our modular home four years ago through a local real estate office. two months ago our septic backed up and was coming out of ground. even though we had it pumped twice, a very nice neighbor called the local health department on us. the health department said they went back to 1989 and could find no records of a septic system for our property at all. so we are spending roughly $6000 to hook up to local sewage line. then, i went to my local court house and discovered that there was absolutely no building permits or permits of any kind for our home. the lady who sold the home knew of the faulty septic system and knew there were no permits. the manufacturer that delivered and set up home will give me no information, of course.
so, this home should have never been able to be sold in the first place. the real estate office that sold the home for her and the one we bought it through are ran by father and son. dad owns one office, the son owns the other one. now the nice neighbor i have owned his sewer line, and charged me $1500 to tap into it then gave it to the sewer company two days later. the health department gave us two choices, tap into his line or leave our home.it seems like everyone dropped the ball on this home and we're paying for it. our disclosure papers say that there is a septic system, i can see one in my yard, but according to the health department, there isn't one. i called my local representative and he said,"mam, you're good people caught up in a bad situation, but unfortunately, you have to pay for it." is this right or do we have some kind of recourse. we don't want to get rich, i feel so many different offices should have caught this and didn't and now are holding it against us. now my local court house did issue us a building permit, which should have cost around $100 but they gave it to us for free. i think it's because they know that they and other messed up. any advice or suggestions will be more than appreciated. i'm in debt to my mother-in-law for the six grand so please have pity. thank you.

HomeGuru

mt jones said:
What is the name of your state? indiana-my husband purchased our modular home four years ago through a local real estate office. two months ago our septic backed up and was coming out of ground. even though we had it pumped twice, a very nice neighbor called the local health department on us. the health department said they went back to 1989 and could find no records of a septic system for our property at all. so we are spending roughly $6000 to hook up to local sewage line. then, i went to my local court house and discovered that there was absolutely no building permits or permits of any kind for our home. the lady who sold the home knew of the faulty septic system and knew there were no permits. the manufacturer that delivered and set up home will give me no information, of course.
so, this home should have never been able to be sold in the first place. the real estate office that sold the home for her and the one we bought it through are ran by father and son. dad owns one office, the son owns the other one. now the nice neighbor i have owned his sewer line, and charged me $1500 to tap into it then gave it to the sewer company two days later. the health department gave us two choices, tap into his line or leave our home.it seems like everyone dropped the ball on this home and we're paying for it. our disclosure papers say that there is a septic system, i can see one in my yard, but according to the health department, there isn't one. i called my local representative and he said,"mam, you're good people caught up in a bad situation, but unfortunately, you have to pay for it." is this right or do we have some kind of recourse. we don't want to get rich, i feel so many different offices should have caught this and didn't and now are holding it against us. now my local court house did issue us a building permit, which should have cost around $100 but they gave it to us for free. i think it's because they know that they and other messed up. any advice or suggestions will be more than appreciated. i'm in debt to my mother-in-law for the six grand so please have pity. thank you.
**A: hire a real estate attorney and sue the crap out of the Seller.
Next time complete due diligence prior to closing ie. contact the health dept., building and zoning dept., get a home inspection, survey etc.

M

mt jones

bought home no permit, faulty septic #2

still in indiana-thanks for the advice of sueing the seller. but from what i understand, if i sue and win, she could file bankrupcy the next day and not have to pay. i don't mean to turn this into a chat room, but, my husband had two surgeries last year that almost made us loose our home then, but we made it through. my husbands 35 and had to get an artifical hip. that was fun. anyway, i am getting ready to talk to an attorney that is known locally for pro bono work. like i said, i am not interested in getting rich, if this guy takes the case, i'll take 30%, he can have 70. oh, by the way, i looked it up, it is septic, not ceptic. thanks for the advice. mt jones. p.s... if you have any other suggestions, please send them!!

HomeGuru

Re: bought home no permit, faulty septic #2

mt jones said:
still in indiana-thanks for the advice of sueing the seller. but from what i understand, if i sue and win, she could file bankrupcy the next day and not have to pay. i don't mean to turn this into a chat room, but, my husband had two surgeries last year that almost made us loose our home then, but we made it through. my husbands 35 and had to get an artifical hip. that was fun. anyway, i am getting ready to talk to an attorney that is known locally for pro bono work. like i said, i am not interested in getting rich, if this guy takes the case, i'll take 30%, he can have 70. oh, by the way, i looked it up, it is septic, not ceptic. thanks for the advice. mt jones. p.s... if you have any other suggestions, please send them!!
**A: I have no other suggestions other than to sue the Seller's real estate agent as well.

M

mt jones

still in indiana: what about where i had to pay the neighbor $1500 to tap into his sewer line, then my neighbors father , who is also a neighbor, tells me that the local sewer company told his son that either he signs his line over to them or they were not going to let us hook into it. so , out of the goodness of his heart, he signed over his line to them. then i had to pay them a $900 tap fee to tap into that exact same line that i already paid $1500 to do so. would you like to laugh? my two neighbors, besides being related to my husband, they are virtually the only ones who do this kind of work in our area. so, i ended up paying the father, since he owns the company, $1700 for the work. a friend of mine with some knowledge in these matters, figured it up that we paid $300 a foot for the pvc line they used to connect us. and i don't know how much you know about pvc pipe but it's not $300 a foot. would anyone like to buy some cheap property in southern indiana. now we have the building permit, working sewer line, and some of the most nicest neighbors you'll ever find. if all else fails, it just feel good to vent. thanks. mt jones

Souix

mt jones said:

***I just have one question, where was all that crap going for 4 years if not in the septic?

Your lender (if you had one) should have also required at least a county health department certification. Did you pay cash for this place? (ok I know thats 2 questions)***

M

mt jones

to answer the question, where was the sewer going for four years, i have no clue. it just started coming out of the ground the end of spring, beginning summer. and we paid around $5500, which was good faith money, closing costs, title search for the mortgage company we went through to obtain the mortgage for the house. and the mortgage company, after around six months, turned our loan over to bank of america. thanks for a at least the correspondance.

Souix

mt jones said:
to answer the question, where was the sewer going for four years, i have no clue. it just started coming out of the ground the end of spring, beginning summer. and we paid around $5500, which was good faith money, closing costs, title search for the mortgage company we went through to obtain the mortgage for the house. and the mortgage company, after around six months, turned our loan over to bank of america. thanks for a at least the correspondance.

***You said you had it pumped twice. What was pumped? Does the pumping company know the location of the tank? Did you call the person you bought the place from and also the realtor? What did they say? Did you perform your due diligence when you bought the home by having the septic pumped and inspected?***

M

mt jones

to answer some of the questions, no our lender did not get inspections from health department or anyone else. and when i called our lender, they said to keep them posted on how we were going to solve the problem. all they lender cares about is whether they'll get our monthly mortgage payment. as for calling the lady, who sold the home, or the real estate agent, I get no call backs or no answer at all. i'm a firm believer that everyone knew what they were doing and didn't care who it screwed later on down the road. from her, her real estate company, the local health department, for it is who you know or who you are in our area, the building inspector, for letting a home be put in with no permits, our real estate agent, because him and his father own the two real estate companies involved. and now we are so far in debt because of this, i can't seem to find a pro bono real estate lawyer. so it's pretty much a lost cause. oh, well. thanks anyway.

Souix

mt jones said:
to answer some of the questions, no our lender did not get inspections from health department or anyone else. and when i called our lender, they said to keep them posted on how we were going to solve the problem. all they lender cares about is whether they'll get our monthly mortgage payment. as for calling the lady, who sold the home, or the real estate agent, I get no call backs or no answer at all. i'm a firm believer that everyone knew what they were doing and didn't care who it screwed later on down the road. from her, her real estate company, the local health department, for it is who you know or who you are in our area, the building inspector, for letting a home be put in with no permits, our real estate agent, because him and his father own the two real estate companies involved. and now we are so far in debt because of this, i can't seem to find a pro bono real estate lawyer. so it's pretty much a lost cause. oh, well. thanks anyway.

***You did not answer any of my questions. Mainly, what did the septic company pump when they came out to pump the septic?***

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">