• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a house recently. Having an issue with Property taxes.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

javi1931

Hello,

I bought a home in November of 2012. At closing it was agreed that the previous owner of the home (seller) would pay the majority of the taxes for 2012 and I would be responsible for a prorated amount only covering the taxes for end of november and december. Unfortunately, I did not pay to much attention to what was going on with my escrow in 2013. It turns out that my mortage company and the sellers mortgage company both paid the full 2012 taxes in december of 2012. The city/county then sent a overpayment refund notice to both mortgage companies. The sellers mortgage company filled out the refund application in march and received the refund. My mortgage company did nothing. I contacted my mortgage company and they tell me they can do nothing becuase they received a bill and they paid it. They will not request a refund now, because that would leave my account delinquent with the city. I contacted the city and they told me they would not do anything to fix the issue because they sent the refund notice to both mortgage companies. I am seeking advise on how to resolve this issue. Will I have to contact a lawyer? Is there another procedure I need to take that I am unaware of? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I bought a home in November of 2012. At closing it was agreed that the previous owner of the home (seller) would pay the majority of the taxes for 2012 and I would be responsible for a prorated amount only covering the taxes for end of november and december. Unfortunately, I did not pay to much attention to what was going on with my escrow in 2013. It turns out that my mortage company and the sellers mortgage company both paid the full 2012 taxes in december of 2012. The city/county then sent a overpayment refund notice to both mortgage companies. The sellers mortgage company filled out the refund application in march and received the refund. My mortgage company did nothing. I contacted my mortgage company and they tell me they can do nothing becuase they received a bill and they paid it. They will not request a refund now, because that would leave my account delinquent with the city. I contacted the city and they told me they would not do anything to fix the issue because they sent the refund notice to both mortgage companies. I am seeking advise on how to resolve this issue. Will I have to contact a lawyer? Is there another procedure I need to take that I am unaware of? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Contact the escrow company and have them fix their screw-up.

Dave1952

Who handled your closing? How does that person intend to fix this? Where is the money now? My guess is that the seller got the money.

FlyingRon

Yep, the settlement company should be fixing this.

And this is exactly the reason why I fight hard to NOT have escrow impounds for insurance and taxes. It only takes one screw up like this (and I've had a few). Fortunately after insisting on an escrow impound at closing my current mortgage company waived the impound after they neglected to pay the insurance the first time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">