• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a house together, the weddings off!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SadSally

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My fiance' and I bought a home together, 2 years ago. We were to be married this September, however I cancelled the wedding. He has moved out. At first he told me he'd sign off the house on a quit claim deed as he wanted to leave the area. Now he says he won't and that the house will need to foreclose as he's not paying anything toward the debt.

I'd like to keep the house. What should I do? I have been making the payments myself for 2 months. I make enough income to keep the house on my own, however he says he will not sign to let me refinance.

Also, since he won't sign off the house and refuses to pay any portion of the house payment, can I take him to small claims court to recover 1/2 of the loan payment that he should be paying?

Thank you for your help.

FarmerJ

Keep paying your house payments and speak to a atty about starting a partition suit to have the courts legally divide the property. DO your self a favor and do some calling now to make sure you can qaulify for a mortgage on your own. IF you can then plan on doing some math work and total up every dime you paid in PITI one column and another with his totals , By the time you get around to court your column should be a larger total.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">