• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bought land with someone living on it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chuckalanpayne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio ... What is best way to remove people living on your land that was just bought... A surveyed revealed that a family is living on my land that I just bought about a year ago. They know about the problem but seem to not care and go on about their businesss. I have spoke to him several times and he keeps coming up with excuses. He has been living there for about 12 years.. It is 20 acres and he is located in the far back over the hill. I gave him three choices ; buy the parcel whole, buy one or two acres and deed it off, or move out. I even mentioned just buying him out, offering him a reasonable price for his home and surrounding buildings. He has not responded. Its been about two months since I spoke with him. Should I evict, send him a letter, call the police, hire an attorney?

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio ... What is best way to remove people living on your land that was just bought... A surveyed revealed that a family is living on my land that I just bought about a year ago. They know about the problem but seem to not care and go on about their businesss. I have spoke to him several times and he keeps coming up with excuses. He has been living there for about 12 years.. It is 20 acres and he is located in the far back over the hill. I gave him three choices ; buy the parcel whole, buy one or two acres and deed it off, or move out. I even mentioned just buying him out, offering him a reasonable price for his home and surrounding buildings. He has not responded. Its been about two months since I spoke with him. Should I evict, send him a letter, call the police, hire an attorney?
Look up your state's law on eviction, and follow those procedures. If you can get an eviction order, then you can enlist the help of the Sheriff in getting him off of your property. Hopefully he won't sue you for adverse possession.

tranquility

I agree with the problem of adverse possession, but disagree with eviction. Eviction is end resut of an abbreviated, but highly technical, process of unlawful detainer. I don't think that is the appropriate process here as the squatter is not a tenant.

You have to file suit against the person for tresspassing and try for a court order to remove them. They will probably claim adverse possession (if appropriate) as a defense/counterclaim. The reason why you would get a court order to regain possession rather than just getting the sheriff out is that if they do get rights through adverse possession, they would also have a suit against the OP for ejectment.

I suggest an attorney. It's going to cost some money and the OP would have been wise to inspect the property and tell the putative former owner to get rid of the people before closing. You may have claims against the former owner, but I don't know the facts. The best answer at this point may be cash. Negotiate with the squatter. Toss a few thousand at the problem and it might go away. I promise that would be the cheapest way.

HomeGuru

**A: what specific information did the Seller disclose about this family?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">