• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Branches hanging over property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

ForensicSyk

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My neighbors Walnut tree branches extend halfway across my property. I mailed him a letter and asked that he trim them back to the property line. He missed the deadline that I gave him. Can I have a professional tree trimmer do the work and make my neighbor pay the bill?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ForensicSyk said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My neighbors Walnut tree branches extend halfway across my property. I mailed him a letter and asked that he trim them back to the property line. He missed the deadline that I gave him. Can I have a professional tree trimmer do the work and make my neighbor pay the bill?

My response:

No. Your neighbor is not responsible for "Acts of Nature"; e.g., limbs that grow over to your side of the property. If you don't want the limbs, then it's your responsibility and financial liability, to trim the limbs back to your property line.

Your neighbor apparently knows this, and it's probably the reason why he's not responding to you.

IAAL

Last edited:

stephenk

you better make sure the tree trimmer doesnt kill the tree or make it so unbalanced that it falls over. Then you will be at fault for any damage to the tree or any object it falls on.

H

hardertj

Other side of the fence

All,

I am on the other side of the fence.

My neigbor complained to me, in a letter, to either trim back my tree of he would have it done and bill me.

For the past 7 years, I just assumed my yard was my responsiblity so I cut back his bushes & trees. Now he wants me to trim the parts of my tree that have grown on his side.

I am in California. Are the parts of my tree that are in his yard my responsiblity or his? :confused:

Regards, Tom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">