• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

woodcourt

I live in new york state and would like some thoughts on the following problem. if a contract exisits to purchase a house and although discussions occured regarding the release of the seller from the contract, the release was never executed and the seller still holds the buyer's deposit. the buyer made it clear that they wished to proceed with the purchase. the seller at some point signed a contract with another buyer while the first contract was still in force. who has the right to purchase the house - buyer 1 or buyer 2?

W

woodcourt

Thank you for your prompt and concise reply. I'd also like to know where buyer 2 stands - is their contract legal? Do they have a claim against the seller? This is a new construction (not yet completed) if that makes any difference.
Thank you.

HomeGuru

woodcourt said:
Thank you for your prompt and concise reply. I'd also like to know where buyer 2 stands - is their contract legal? Do they have a claim against the seller? This is a new construction (not yet completed) if that makes any difference.
Thank you.
My response: the reason my response was Buyer one was due to the fact that the parties to the contract did not sign a release to mutual termination. Even if they agreed to verbally, that does not count. Based on the statutes of frauds, all real estatet contracts must be in writing to be enforceable. Also the Buyer's deposit has not been returned and you state that the contract was still in force.

I am not sure if this second offer is legal. I do know that there is no way that the Seller can accept two offers at the same time without noting one as a backup offer.
Now on this offer, the Seller probably messed up and accepted this offer by mistake with no language in the contract to the effect of "this is a backup offer only or this offer subject to termination of the first offer" or something similar.
The Buyer may have a claim
against the Seller if said Seller did not disclose the existence of the first offer and state an acceptance contingency due to this first offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">