• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach Of The Peace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RICH7

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

I have been involved in litigation over an income property that was owned by 3 tenants in common.
During the pretrial portion, one of the other owners changed locks on the entire building. I instructed my attorney to inform the judge and obtain new keys so I could have access and to monitor thier activities. My attorney did neither. After a month and a half, I went to the building and took copies of the keys.
My attorney said I breached the peace. I say I went to my building and got keys that belonged to me anyway.
I was not ordered to stay away from the building.
I neither damaged or broke anything.
I did not argue, fight or even meet anyone on my visit.
How could I have breached the peace? Is my attorney covering for his own inaction?

HomeGuru

RICH7 said:
What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

I have been involved in litigation over an income property that was owned by 3 tenants in common.
During the pretrial portion, one of the other owners changed locks on the entire building. I instructed my attorney to inform the judge and obtain new keys so I could have access and to monitor thier activities. My attorney did neither. After a month and a half, I went to the building and took copies of the keys.
My attorney said I breached the peace. I say I went to my building and got keys that belonged to me anyway.
I was not ordered to stay away from the building.
I neither damaged or broke anything.
I did not argue, fight or even meet anyone on my visit.
How could I have breached the peace? Is my attorney covering for his own inaction?

**A: if you owned the building at the time, then your attorney is incompetent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">