• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

break of the purchase agreement - urgent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blazni

What is the name of your state? mi

signed a purchase agreement for a used home with a builder- no broker involved - with an earnest deposit of $1000 builder to finish part of the basement. After discovering cracks (with a leaking signs ) in the basement walls, I want to back out of the purchase agreement - which is not contingent on home inspection etc. What are my options? Can the builder sue me for breaking the agreement? Can he force me to buy the home? Can I get the deposit money back?- in what circumstances?
thanks.

HomeGuru

blazni said:
What is the name of your state? mi

signed a purchase agreement for a used home with a builder- no broker involved - with an earnest deposit of $1000 builder to finish part of the basement. After discovering cracks (with a leaking signs ) in the basement walls, I want to back out of the purchase agreement - which is not contingent on home inspection etc.

**A: what? No inspection by a home inspector, waterproofing contractor or engineer? That is just nonsense and asking for trouble. And no real estate agent or real estate attorney to represent you?
No wonder you're in urgent need of professional help.

What are my options? Can the builder sue me for breaking the agreement? Can he force me to buy the home? Can I get the deposit money back?- in what circumstances?
thanks.
**A: no one here can help you because an attorney needs to review the terms and conditions in your contract. So contact the attorney that you should have hired before you made the offer to purchase.

B

blazni

oh yes... that is me, even trying to stay out of trouble.

Q: is a purchase agreement a valid document if it does not have the buyer's name and address spelled out? It "only" has the signature. (The seller's name is spelled out and signed)
thanks.

HomeGuru

blazni said:
oh yes... that is me, even trying to stay out of trouble.

Q: is a purchase agreement a valid document if it does not have the buyer's name and address spelled out? It "only" has the signature. (The seller's name is spelled out and signed)
thanks.
**A: what is listed then in place of the buyer's name, Scooby Doo?

B

blazni

the form I signed has only one field for "buyer"- where a signature is... that's all. there was no place for Scooby Doo...:(

HomeGuru

blazni said:
the form I signed has only one field for "buyer"- where a signature is... that's all. there was no place for Scooby Doo...:(
**A: well dog gone it, you signed it so it is a legally binding contract.

signed,
Scrappy

FarmerJ

Look through any of the documents you have to see if you have a sellers disclosure report with information about the house , Like a sellers truth in housing disclosure form If you find such information and it didnt disclose leakage /wet conditions in basement OR declared there are none you may have a chance to cancel Or come up with a negotiated amount for repairs . This late into the purchase this might be the only chance you have . DO consult with a lawyer anyway to review the purchase agreement and direct you on title search If title work Isnt allready done .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">