• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking the Escrow Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Haggerty

Hello folks.

My wife and I are new home owners. (and with that has come the headaches). At the end of December we received warning letters from our town regarding taxes due. I quickly sent it away to our Mortgage company, well roughly 3 more warning letters, 1 month, and about 20 phone calls later, the mortgage company is still dragging their feet. They assure me that the payment will be overnighted...the only problem is that our property will be going up for tax sale tomorrow! Our tax collector said that if the property goes up for tax sale state law allows us to break the escrow agreement with the mortgage company and thus allow us to be responsible for our own taxes. I was really mad at the mortgage company for dragging their feet for so long. OUr collector also offered to pull the tax sale because the mortgage company did call them saying that they would be overnighting the payment...the only problem is that it will probably not get there in time. The mortgage company also said that if the property did go to tax sale that they would redeem it.

Is it legal and would it make sense for us to pull the escrow agreement as per state law or would that create more of a headache? and secondly if the property did go to tax sale is it easy for the mortgage company to "redeem" it?

Do i need a lawyer for all this stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">