• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

porsche4vm

Norhtern Calif.
I opened a small antique & gift shop that was only open on weekends, and i worked another job during the week. The first year i signed 1 yr lease. As the landlord and I were on good terms the 2nd year no lease was signed, I just continued paying same rent. 3rd year landlord convinced me that I should sign a two year lease 4 months before the renewal was up, so that if I sold my shop I would have a longer lease to offer the new owners.My understanding was that it was a one yr with OPTION to renew for the 2nd yr.

Last year I lost my main job. I was unemployed for 6 months, and when I went back to work, I took a 25% cut in pay. Realizing that the shop was not paying for itself, and no longer having money to support it, I told the landlord that I had to sell out and leave. His reply "don't worry, I'll work with you".

I have been trying to find someone to take over the space for the last 3 months, with no luck. I paid the landlord for two more months and gave him back the key and said that was it. He is trying to hold me to the lease.

I have been told that there is some Calif law that if a persons finances seriously drop like mine did when I lost the job and took one for 25% less, those were grounds for breaking a lease. Is this true?

Also the landlord is telling the other merchants in the same building that I am not paying my rent and insinuating that I'm a deadbeat. Is it leagal for him to do this? It's a small town and I could be black balled for life it word get sout.

HomeGuru

1. Read your lease again to confirm your understanding if the term was for 2 years or 1 year with a 1 year option.

2. There is no such law that allows you to break your lease for the reason stated.

3. L can tell people that you did not pay your rent if that is in fact the truth.
Calling you a deadbeat is questionable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">