• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking a lease-fair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Louie 21

I have read other similar situations and understand that I have to pay rent for the full term or until another tenant is found. But for people like me, an ex-student who lost her student loans and cannot afford rent, how is this fair? I know things happen like job transfers or disabilities where people need to leave and cannot afford to pay rent when they're not living there any longer. So why isn't there any help for tenants who need to get out? Has there been anything done to require leases to have a buy-out fee or reletting fee? Sometimes things happen that people don't expect and not everyone can afford to pay for something that they're not even using. I know I'm stuck paying this rent because I signed the lease, but tell me why there is no law helping me to break a lease.

P

peter

Why is there no law to help you break a lease?

BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AN ADULT... that why!

And you are supposed to be even MINIMALLY intelligent to know when you sign something YOU agree to it.

And especially since you are in college, and not a low IQ retard then you have no excuses short of your parents dying and you need to rush home and take care of them.. that will ever be a good excuse.

And since you are suppoedly an ADULT, and supposedly mature....then you must be able to control your finances so will have enough to pay the rent in emergencies.

If this is what we are giving you a student loan for then we are pissssing our tax money on you.....

So dont go to college you are not BRIGHT enough for that,go get a job at Wal-Mart...that is more on your level.

L

Louie 21

Listen, no need to be rude. I am highly intelligent and had to withdraw from college due to financial difficulties. Not everyone has a mommy and daddy to pay for their education. So don't tell me where I sould work when you don't even know the situation. I know I am an adult and I appreciate the horrible reminder. All I was hoping to accomplish from this was to see if there happened to be anything that could be done for people who to get caught in some hard times. But if all I get is some asshole remark from someone like you who hides behind a computer, I'd rather not get any reply at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
Why is there no law to help you break a lease?

BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AN ADULT... that why!

And you are supposed to be even MINIMALLY intelligent to know when you sign something YOU agree to it.

And especially since you are in college, and not a low IQ retard then you have no excuses short of your parents dying and you need to rush home and take care of them.. that will ever be a good excuse.

And since you are suppoedly an ADULT, and supposedly mature....then you must be able to control your finances so will have enough to pay the rent in emergencies.

If this is what we are giving you a student loan for then we are pissssing our tax money on you.....

So dont go to college you are not BRIGHT enough for that,go get a job at Wal-Mart...that is more on your level.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T

Tracey

There is no law requiring leases to have a buy-out clause because landlords contribute to state legislature campaigns & tenants don't. Also, it's not fair to L to say that L can't break the lease but T can. Find a sublettor or roommate or a second job. Frankly, if you can't pay the rent, L wants you out as much as you want to leave. L just wants to make sure you cover the rent. The advantage of finding the sublettor yourself is that you get to live there until the place is re-rented. You don't end up paying rent on 2 places when you're only living in one.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

P

peter

YO LOUIE

This is called "Life Skills Class" stuff they dont teach you in college...

The landlord has a right to know he is getting XXX amount of money....for a certian amount of time....

You are obligated to pay it......unless you can sublet, or MUTUALLY agree to end the lease.

So being NICE to your landlord, and asking him NICELY when things need fixing, AND never demanding things be fixed when you have been LATE with the rent......all winds up with...

A GREAT REFERENCE so you can rent the next apartment with ease!

D

dolphingrl

Aloha Peter.....
What happened to your breathing? Did you forget how?
Why are you so rude to people who actually took the time to find answers to questions that they believe are legit? Seeking answers to questions doesn’t make you stupid. When you STOP asking questions and TRYING to learn then you truly are "stupid". As far as I'm concerned, it takes much more intelligence to ask a question for which you don't have the answer, than to quip back with rude and demeaning answers!
These people on the BB may have made mistakes, and some have even made bad judgment calls... but at least they are willing to learn why.
Why don't you try and temper your advice with a little "aloha". YOU may feel better by acting like a jerk, but whom are you actually helping? If you intend on attacking people, you should open your own site such as peter'sadvice.com and then maybe unsuspecting individuals with REAL questions would know what they are getting themselves into by visiting your site. Because far as I can remember this BB is not named "Peter's BB"
Mahalo-
PS Please disregard my earlier suggestion of visiting Hawaii on your next vacation. Your NYC attitude and arrogance would not fit in a place that treasures beauty and the "aloha spirit".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">