• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking lease in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmar

I've been renting a 3-bedroom duplex for the last 5 years in Virginia, renewing Lease each year. I just signed a new Lease in March for another year. Last month, husband moved out (I only held a part-time job). I scrambled to get second job, but I STILL can't earn enough to stay here. Husband's name was not on Lease... only mine. My entire family lives in another state. There is no one here to help. I have to move back home and stay with family until I can get back on my feet. Can I legally break the Lease here? There is no way I can afford to stay. Thanks for any help.

P

Prairielaw

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmar:
I've been renting a 3-bedroom duplex for the last 5 years in Virginia, renewing Lease each year. I just signed a new Lease in March for another year. Last month, husband moved out (I only held a part-time job). I scrambled to get second job, but I STILL can't earn enough to stay here. Husband's name was not on Lease... only mine. My entire family lives in another state. There is no one here to help. I have to move back home and stay with family until I can get back on my feet. Can I legally break the Lease here? There is no way I can afford to stay. Thanks for any help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Unless there are some terms in the lease that provide you an out or the landlord has breached some term in the lease you may well be on the hook.

From the practical side, the landlord is not going to be able to collect from you after you move to a different state. Sure they can sue but a judgment against someone without anything may me worth little more than the paper it is written on. In addition the landlord has the obligation to mitigate their damages -- that means they have to try an re rent the place.

So, it may be worthwhile to just sit down with landlord and tell them all the circumstances, including the fact you must move and you and the landlord work on getting the place re rented asap. In the interim you could agree to pay whatever you could afford. This way the landlord knows they do not have to start law suit and get an apartment back without any notice.

Law on, Kevin

------------------
Kevin O'Keefe
Founder & Fearless Community Leader
Prairielaw.com
"More people helping people with the law than anywhere."

T

Tracey

Sublet or assign the place. If you pay to run the ad & find a replacement tenant, L can't claim that your leaving early caused him/her any damages. Also, if you find a sublet & L doens't allow it, you have a good argument that L failed to mitigate damages & can't collect *any* money from you for breach.

In a sublet, you remain the tenant & become the sublettor's landlord. You remain ultimately liable for the rent & any damages. In an assignment, the new tenant steps into your shoes & you are released from any further liablility. (Make the new tenant pay YOU the damage deposit & transfer the deposit you have with L to NT.)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

T

tmar

Thank you for the advice! I'm planning to give L 60 days' notice and she can even keep my security deposit in the event she doesn't rent it right away. I will try to find someone to sublease. It doesn't sound so overwhelming anymore. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">