• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken device inside apartment complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blanknoing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hi guys, I have a question. About two weeks ago my friends and I were having a few drinks in a club house that belonged to the apartment complex. I don't live there, so my friends had to let me in as I was their guest. During the course of the evening I became extremely intoxicated and threw something at one of the computers located inside the clubhouse. The computer was damaged and now the complex wants us to pay for the computer. They know who it was because they have cameras. The bill comes out to about 2000 dollars. I don't have that kind of money. What are my options?

Last edited:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hi guys, I have a question. About two weeks ago my friends and I were having a few drinks in a club house that belonged to the apartment complex. I don't live there, so my friends had to let me in as I was their guest. During the course of the evening I became extremely intoxicated and threw something at one of the computers located inside the clubhouse. The computer was damaged and now the complex wants us to pay for the computer. They know who it was because they have cameras. The bill comes out to about 2000 dollars. I don't have that kind of money. What are my options?
Ask them if they will work out a payment schedule with you.

Stop drinking.

Blanknoing

Also another thing. They want a brand new device, but my understanding is they only receive the value of the computer. Since only the screen was damage (Its a mac) cant I say they should repair it first?

TigerD

Also another thing. They want a brand new device, but my understanding is they only receive the value of the computer. Since only the screen was damage (Its a mac) cant I say they should repair it first?
Do you really want to quibble over this knowing they could turn the video over to the police for a vandalism/property damage criminal complaint?

DC

justalayman

I agree. I just think Im getting really screwed for a mistake I made while intoxicated.
It was not a mistake. You intentionally got drunk and yiu intentionally threw something at the computer. No accidents there. It was all willful actions. That is a huge difference in what charges may be applicable.

Also understand it is not a "we" situation. This is all on "you".

STEPHAN

How would you feel if I would do this to your computer while I am intoxicated? And I had no money?

BTW, these days it is usually a lot cheaper to replace equipment than to repair it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How would you feel if I would do this to your computer while I am intoxicated? And I had no money?

BTW, these days it is usually a lot cheaper to replace equipment than to repair it.
I don't supposed you've been in the market for a replacement/new Mac lately, have you? ;)

ShyCat

I just think Im getting really screwed for a mistake I made while intoxicated.
Why would do you believe you are not responsible for your actions while intoxicated? Intoxication makes you irresponsible, but it does not relieve you of responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">