• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Build on someone elses land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keatid

What is the name of your state? Western Australia

I realise this is US law only however I am clutching at straws here and hope someone could answer my questions or at least give me ideas. Basically my wifes grandfather has a large block of land that is my wifes and her siblings inheritance. He has said we can build on the land now but he doesnt want to change the title to protect the interests of the other siblings until he is dead.

What I would like to know is is it possible for me to protect my financial investment in that I am paying for a new home to be built on the land even though the land title will remain in his name?

Further to this should a divorce occur my wifes family have said they would pay me out for half of the value of the home and land. Can this be legitamised with a contract/caveat or something?

Currently I am paying a lawyer $300 an hour and he has changed his position on this so its getting quite annoying.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

nextwife

100 year land lease?

Or here's an idea- buy your own land together and build your house there. IF she someday inherits THIS land, you can build on it and sell the house you build now.

I take it all back: US law only!

Last edited:

keatid

Feedback

Just wanted to thank in advance those who will/have replied. I appreciate this site is for US law however it may give me ideas etc to raise with my legal advice.

Regarding the lease yes that is an option we are looking into as well. Unfortunately where I live the local council wants to stick its nose into everything that you do so it has to go through them for approval.

keatid

100 year land lease?

Or here's an idea- buy your own land together and build your house there. IF she someday inherits THIS land, you can build on it and sell the house you build now.

I take it all back: US law only!

What you suggest is our current situation in that is what we are already doing. The reason we are keen to move now is that we are talking of approxiamately 50 acres close to the CBD in Perth, Western Australia. In a nutshell this would free us from debt (we are a young family) and generally change our lifes completely. It seems like a golden oppurtunity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">