• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder Refuses Warranty Repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paynem

My wife and I will appreciate the help you're able to offer regarding a builder in Florida who will not honor the one-year home warranty on our new house and fix two roof leaks, despite repeated written requests.

We closed on the house in December, 1998, reported (in writing) roof leaks in July, 1999, and didn't see a builder's roofer until August, 2000. According to the roofer, the builder only authorized tar (from a caulk gun), which did NOT correct the problem.

The builder simply ignored our repeated requests and now the warranty has expired. Is small claims court the direction at this time? In the same sub-division, nine other homeowners have experienced similar reaction with this builder. Though each homeowner's "warranty" repairs might total $500-1000, we're wondering if legal action beyond the small claims court is needed.

Thank you again for any guidance.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paynem:
My wife and I will appreciate the help you're able to offer regarding a builder in Florida who will not honor the one-year home warranty on our new house and fix two roof leaks, despite repeated written requests.

We closed on the house in December, 1998, reported (in writing) roof leaks in July, 1999, and didn't see a builder's roofer until August, 2000. According to the roofer, the builder only authorized tar (from a caulk gun), which did NOT correct the problem.

The builder simply ignored our repeated requests and now the warranty has expired. Is small claims court the direction at this time? In the same sub-division, nine other homeowners have experienced similar reaction with this builder. Though each homeowner's "warranty" repairs might total $500-1000, we're wondering if legal action beyond the small claims court is needed.

Thank you again for any guidance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hire a good home inspector. You may be surprised when the list of defects get longer. Then hire a construction defect attorney. You and the other owners may want to use the same attorney and file a class action lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">