• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building condemned and scheduled to be demolished please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Microwave

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hello, My mother owns a building an old Rosenwald school house in Bath County Virginia, the building is going to bid for December 17th, I am trying to get it demolished before December 17th though.

Is it illegal for them to send me a bill for demolitioning the building or can they demolish it and send me a bill for it? what happens if I don't pay for it?

There are 2 houses that don't have drive ways to them and ours is the only property that has a drive way in that area, they want to take part of our property and use it as a drive way for the other two houses. Wouldn't they have to pay us a really good price for this or can they just take the property and give them a right away through our property?

We found out that they're not really going to give anyone a permit and no one seems to be interested in fixing the property, so we are stuck with it no matter what, and they say the bill will most likely be between 10-15k ( something that we can not afford )

Also there was a huge grant that went up in the area and they tore down a lot of peoples homes and made them new ones for free, they renovated a lot of peoples homes for free. But because I did not live on the property they said they won't make me a home even if I do agree to live in it for 10 years ( that is what they require for the grant to go through ) Is that legal that they are tearing down other peoples homes and building them new ones but won't do the same for me even though I want to live on the property? The county has bullied us big time here. For months they kept saying it was fine just board it up, once we boarded it up, that was the first time hearing about demolition. We didn't even get any real notice.

What can I do in this situation? I did find a buyer for the property btw but they said they only want it if I get the building demolished because he just wants the land.

The grant lady told us that we should wait and not work on the building. So we did, we kept asking and asking if we should work on it and she said no. Then after 8 months she said if we would have been working on the building that we could have gotten a grant, but since we didn't we can't get one.

Also, I was a resident of Bath county for 3 years during that time I was denied electricity which was necessary to improve the building to prepare it for living conditions. Now that the county has condemned it, would I qualify for a home through the TAP program since they took the only opportunity I had for a place to live, I am now a homeless retired senior. ( in the words of my mother )

justalayman

What does what is happening with the building have to do with you and being homeless?

Is it illegal for them to send me a bill for demolitioning the building or can they demolish it and send me a bill for it?
not illegal but you wouldn't be liable for it. It is your mother's property so she would be liable for it.

what happens if I don't pay for it?
nothing

Microwave

Okay sorry let me clarify this...

If my mother doesn't pay for it, what happens? There is a TAP program in the neighborhood, they are taking her only chance of getting this building fixed up. Since they are helping everyone else in the neighborhood with the TAP program, why can't they help her since she is a homeless senior with no money and no place to stay. This is her only property, they are helping people that are 30 that make more money than her. Now they expect her to pay for the bill to tear this building down which will run between 10-15k and won't give her a house? one of the construction guys up there says she has no money and no place to go TAP will build her a house up there, but I am trying to find out if this is true and what she can do to get a house built on the grant program?

So as I asked "What happened if she doesn't pay for the demolition?" and to take her land and make a driveway would they have to justly compensate her?

Thanks

LdiJ

Nothing at all to say now?
In reality I do not think that anyone here is familiar with the program you are talking about, therefore we really cannot be of any help to you. That is generally the reason why you would not get any answers after 7 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">