• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building Contractor Going Bankrupt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cheedoh

My wife and I recently purchased our first home in Utah from a reputable contractor (at least they were when we first entered into our contract). Since closing on the house we have received several mechanics liens on the home. Luckily my state protects home buyers from this and no money has had to come out of my pocket to release the liens. However, when we purchased the home we purchased an upgraded package which included a landscaping package. The landscaping was to be put in within 1-2 months after closing which would have been fullfilled in late August. We recently found out that the building contractor had spread himself too thin by trying to develop several areas at once too fast (without actual buyers in the pipe-line). They are now facing bankruptcy. The money (about $2000) for the landscaping was never put into an escrow account in case something like this happened. Do we have any recourse to either get the $2000 dollars back or to have our landscaping finished.

Please let me know,
T.J.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cheedoh:
My wife and I recently purchased our first home in Utah from a reputable contractor (at least they were when we first entered into our contract). Since closing on the house we have received several mechanics liens on the home. Luckily my state protects home buyers from this and no money has had to come out of my pocket to release the liens. However, when we purchased the home we purchased an upgraded package which included a landscaping package. The landscaping was to be put in within 1-2 months after closing which would have been fullfilled in late August. We recently found out that the building contractor had spread himself too thin by trying to develop several areas at once too fast (without actual buyers in the pipe-line). They are now facing bankruptcy. The money (about $2000) for the landscaping was never put into an escrow account in case something like this happened. Do we have any recourse to either get the $2000 dollars back or to have our landscaping finished.

Please let me know,
T.J.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

File a complaint with the Contractors License Board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">