• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buyer found termites 3 months after closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beanie324

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Just received a message from the buyer of our old house stating that termites were just found and asked that we pay for part or all of the costs. All of the normal inspections were performed, in fact, the buyers paid to have a full, detailed inspection done before closing and no termites were found. Are we legally obligated to pay anything? :confused: According to the buyer, the total costs are $900 + $125/mo for guarantee.

Thanks,
DebWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

rowz

The answer will lie in your contract for sale.

Tell themthat they may have recourse with the termite inspctor.....OTOH, I might not tell them anything furhter than what is written in the contract.

If this notification was in writing, then I would respond as above, but if verbal I would not continue to discuss it with them.

It was foolish of them [and perhaps their mortgage company] to not order a termite treatment anyway.

Others here will likely post with better info than I.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">