• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying a co-op to renovate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

era

I'm in New York City, considering buying an apartment in my building (co-op), and am currently renting the unit next door. The studio for sale has a private outdoor space which is the roof of the unit below, I believe of the same building. I would like to build another room on this deck. This would in no way obstruct anyone's window view, as far as I can tell. I'd like to go to the co-op board with some information before making my proposal/offer, as I am currently totally clueless. Please help!

vrzirn

Read the CC&R's. They might forbid any changes in the building's facade. You can also expect strong opposition from the apartment owner who will not like having someone living over his ceiling. He bought that co-op expecting it was the top floor.
I realize there is already a patio but I do not think they will let you build on it. Consult an attorney before approaching the board.
Consider this: you might stir up so much animosity they will not let you purchase the unit.

E

era

I spoke with the head of the co-op board yesterday. He seemed fine with the idea of building on the deck, (design details being subject to the board's approval) but he doesn't know about the legalities. Suggested I check with the city? to see what is or isn't permitted on that space. Does anyone know what gov't bureau to contact?

HomeGuru

Conact the Building and Zoning Departments.
Make sure you get the coop board and any other approvals in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">