• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a home...Deed is in ex-wife's name who is deceased.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JJAW0516

I live in Bossier City, Louisiana and me and my husband are trying to buy a house next to my parents...problem is the man who owns it, his ex wife ,who is now deceased, name appears on the deed. Not only that but he had to get the divorce papers sent to him from Tennessee...so back to the point, all the papers are with the lawyer now....they put the house in the paper for a 30 day wait to see if any family member claims it....Now the lawyer is saying we have to wait another 30 days since they just received all the final paperwork....Has anyone ever heard about this or gone through this....please let me know.

Thanks,
Angie

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJAW0516:
I live in Bossier City, Louisiana and me and my husband are trying to buy a house next to my parents...problem is the man who owns it, his ex wife ,who is now deceased, name appears on the deed. Not only that but he had to get the divorce papers sent to him from Tennessee...so back to the point, all the papers are with the lawyer now....they put the house in the paper for a 30 day wait to see if any family member claims it....Now the lawyer is saying we have to wait another 30 days since they just received all the final paperwork....Has anyone ever heard about this or gone through this....please let me know.

Thanks,
Angie
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A death certificate needs to be filed. Sounds like the property is in Probate, is it? There is usually a Notice Of Publication and once the time period for responding has elapsed and there are no claims, the property is free to be sold.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">