• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a house jointly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

theadgal

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Virginia
I am looking into buying a house with a partner as an investment. I need it as a tax deduction for a professional office. Currently, I claim no office but am working out of my home as a self employed advertising agent. My partner needs to rent out his portion of the investement as a single family home. The house needs upgrades and is zoned residential at the moment. The zoning could be changed. If we can find a tenant who would agree to splitting the house as a professional office and a home, can we use our portion of the investment for different tax purposes?

FarmerJ

Just out of curiousity have you looked for property that is for sale that allready has a first floor commercial space , with a residential apt On 2nd floor Or one of these places that has a house in the more rear portion with a smaller storefront attached to it nearer the street ? Keep a eye out especially in areas that at one time had mom & pop stores in the front by the street . one of those kinds of places might give you excellent visability with the rental you seek as well with out having any zoning Issues , Good luck to you .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">