• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying out property from Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KITTYBEBAD2

My ex and I bought a home almost 7 years ago. We divorced 5 years ago. He only occupied the home for 18 months. Divorce ruling was I am to remain in home until the 9 year recapture clause was over.We were approved for HUD. He wants to sell the house NOW. We talked about me buying him out.
He doesnt want to agree on anything I am willing to give him. During the divorce and speaking with my then attorney she told me that at time of buying him out,his buy out figure should come from the amount of time he was in the home making payments , the equity that was in the home at the time of his departure and not the equity that is in the home now. Can he just sighn the deed over to me(land) And the mortgage issue : I filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago is that going to make a major effect on me being able to purchase the home with another partner?

HomeGuru

KITTYBEBAD2 said:
My ex and I bought a home almost 7 years ago. We divorced 5 years ago. He only occupied the home for 18 months. Divorce ruling was I am to remain in home until the 9 year recapture clause was over.We were approved for HUD. He wants to sell the house NOW. We talked about me buying him out.
He doesnt want to agree on anything I am willing to give him. During the divorce and speaking with my then attorney she told me that at time of buying him out,his buy out figure should come from the amount of time he was in the home making payments , the equity that was in the home at the time of his departure and not the equity that is in the home now. Can he just sighn the deed over to me(land)

**A: yes provided his buyout scenario is consistent with the divorce decree distribution of assets as adjudicated by the Courts.

And the mortgage issue : I filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago is that going to make a major effect on me being able to purchase the home with another partner?

**A: not really unless partner has bad credit and other issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">