• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Utility deposit law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tweekzilla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

When we moved into our house 2-years ago we had to pay a deposit to the water company for service. I believe other states have a maximum period in which utility companies can hold deposits. Our water company states that they can keep it as long as they like or until we move house. Is this true or can I get my deposit back before I die (which hopefully won't be for a long time)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you made all payments on time for the last two years? It seems strange to me that the utility would be resistant to returning your deposit if you have shown a good history with them.

With that said, I suspect the utility is correct:

http://law.onecle.com/california/utilities/10009.6.html

FarmerJ

Even in the late 70s early 80s I had good credit with what was Northwestern Bell & its re incarnations and while i was out in California ( Bethel Island , Oakley area) I seriously was thinking of moving there and went to order up phone service from the Bell co and remember they wanted 100.00 deposit ( party line service was all that was available too) I was told they required it of all new accounts even though I had what I thought to be good credit with phone co in MN. SO with a city I guess they too can do what ever they want re deposits ( never heard of any city doing that here though ) BUT to shorten up my long winded tale here it might be worth searching to learn if they might be required to pay you interest after a set amount of time ? AND so you know with city water and sewer there is no way for them to hide details so how they are to operate is public information and details like deposits , shut off rules etc has to be made available to you if you ask for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">