• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can both spouses serve on HOA Board of Directors at the same time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdrector

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland. Our community is served by an HOA. Currently the President of the Board is also the Treasure's spouse. In Maryland is it "legal" for both spouses to serve the board at the same time? If not, can anyone reference a link or code in which I can research. Thank you before hand for your help.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland. Our community is served by an HOA. Currently the President of the Board is also the Treasure's spouse. In Maryland is it "legal" for both spouses to serve the board at the same time? If not, can anyone reference a link or code in which I can research. Thank you before hand for your help.
Maryland is not the key, but the HOA agreement. Some may not allow two from the same residence.

rdrector

Maryland is not the key, but the HOA agreement. Some may not allow two from the same residence.
Thank you, I will look into the agreement in more detail. My issue to bring this up is not the board members themselves, but it just appears as though it could be a considerable conflict of interest in many ways.

LdiJ

Thank you, I will look into the agreement in more detail. My issue to bring this up is not the board members themselves, but it just appears as though it could be a considerable conflict of interest in many ways.
I understand where you are coming from since one spouse is the President and the other is the Treasurer. That possibly might open the door for some malfeasance regarding the HOA's money. However unless they are greedy idiots they will know that, and will be particularly careful NOT to do anything at all that smacks of malfeasance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">