• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the city remove my dads antique cars off private properety?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bgram2

I live in a small town in Utah. My father has many old cars (1935-1968) on private property which he has restored since before the city was incorporated. The city recently passed a nuisance ordinance. They deemed the cars a nuisance and threaten to come in and crush them. Does he have the right to keep them? Is his "pursuit of happiness" comming to an end? How do I get help fast?

FarmerJ

Would It possibly be because the cars do not have current license plates ? In some places non running Or cars with out current plates are classed as Junk . Also is there any ordinance stopping your dad from putting up carport Or polebarn /shed large enough to give the cars a place to park ?

B

bgram2

I am sure the cars look like junk to others, but to dad they are gold. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. The citation issued says that all inoperable vehicles must be removed. These are not abandoned cars, my father went out puposefully and got them.
As far as building a shed for them, I think the city would have to issue a building permit. At this point I really doubt they would.

This has all the indications of a personal agenda of the mayor, who lives down the road. 7 citations were issued to different folks and at least 5 are on the road the mayor lives on. I am having trouble getting info from the city office. Seems they want to drag their feet on what info I have access to. Hmmm.

FarmerJ

Until you do find out If current zoning rules would allow carport /garage /shed to be built and what size . perhaps your father can rent space from someone who has polebarn /etc space to store them . Go again to the city and request copys of current zoning rules for sheds garages carports, paving rules , parking on residential property . perhaps if needed the sale of one of the restored cars would be sufficent to pay for some of this . If They refuse you the Information consider asking someone else to get it for you . There should be no reasonable logic to refuse it It is public information after all .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">