• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can HOA ask me to send them my tenants leases?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparkling_girl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi,
I have a house which I rented out to four tenants. I am a minority person and have been given a hard time by my HOA many many times. One time after they asked me to paint the front door (which I had already done that), I called them and they apologized but looks like they want to find every possible excuses to pick up a fight with me.

Recently, of my tenants parked his commercial cars on the drive way once and I got a letter from the HOA and they requested me to go for a hearing. When I called them and informed them that it was an accident and it won't happen again, they said sorry, you still have to come by for a hearing AND in addition to that, we now would like to see all your tenants leases! Is that legal for them to ask?

Thanks in advance

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi,
I have a house which I rented out to four tenants. I am a minority person and have been given a hard time by my HOA many many times. One time after they asked me to paint the front door (which I had already done that), I called them and they apologized but looks like they want to find every possible excuses to pick up a fight with me.

Recently, of my tenants parked his commercial cars on the drive way once and I got a letter from the HOA and they requested me to go for a hearing. When I called them and informed them that it was an accident and it won't happen again, they said sorry, you still have to come by for a hearing AND in addition to that, we now would like to see all your tenants leases! Is that legal for them to ask?

Thanks in advance
It is not illegal for them to ask and it might be required in order to rent a home governed by this HOA.

Just Blue

Hi,

Thanks in advance
Why is your race,color or sexual preference relevant to this situation??:confused:

sparkling_girl

Why is your race,color or sexual preference relevant to this situation??:confused:
It is relevant, because they seem to like American and not people from other countries (especially Muslims), since they found out I'm from a certain country they started giving me a hard time for everything. Let's get back to my question, it's hard for me to explain, it's something that I have picked up on...

sparkling_girl

It is not illegal for them to ask and it might be required in order to rent a home governed by this HOA.
But there are personal info on those leases, SSN, etc. Can I just not provide it to them? What would the penalty and policy be for things like this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But there are personal info on those leases, SSN, etc. Can I just not provide it to them? What would the penalty and policy be for things like this?
"Redact" the personal info (ie: Make a copy, then on the copy, white-out the SSN, then make a copy of that copy to provide to the board)

xylene

It seems like a lot of HOA problems are in your head.

They had an issue with your door, which was a mistake, and they apologized. They did not have to apologize.

They were not willing to let your tenant's commercial vehicle parking violation slide. Guess what? Most HOA's never let that issue slide, for anybody, for a 100+ reasons.

They need your lease documents. Also super-common HOA requirement, I 'm surprised you didn't have to get them pre
approved.

Maybe, possibly, the thing you think is racism, that thing you can't put your finger on, is the normal reaction people get when dealing with someone with a chip on their shoulder. :rolleyes:

HomeGuru

**A: OP, I suggest you read the HOA docs to make sure you are following all the CC&R's. It appears that the House Rules do not allow commercial vehicles to be parked on the property.
A vehicle with company name, advertising etc. would fit that description.

HomeGuru

**A: OP, I suggest you read the HOA docs to make sure you are following all the CC&R's. It appears that the House Rules do not allow commercial vehicles to be parked on the property.
A vehicle with company name, advertising etc. would fit that description. So this is not about discrimination but about abiding by the laws of the HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">