• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Allow My Mother to Quit Claim Deed to my 4 Year Old Daughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KewlKitti

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Hello,

My mother lives in Hawaii, and I live in South Carolina. My mother over the years has bought properties (land) to leave to her children for inheritance. She is 82 years old.

She has decided to Quit Claim Deed all the properties to us children now instead of waiting until death for the properties to be dispursed.

I have the Quit Claim Deed in hand but have not filled out my portion of it yet because I have a slight problem.

I am in the midst of a legal situation to remove Federal Tax Liens against me on my credit report.

I don't want to accept the land and have it taken away from me (or have judgements against it). I only want the land to leave to my daughter anyway.

Is there a way that I could just put the land in HER name? She is only 4 years old. If there is a way, how would I go about doing it.

Or do you have another idea?

Kitti

HomeGuru

KewlKitti said:
What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Hello,

My mother lives in Hawaii, and I live in South Carolina. My mother over the years has bought properties (land) to leave to her children for inheritance. She is 82 years old.

She has decided to Quit Claim Deed all the properties to us children now instead of waiting until death for the properties to be dispursed.

I have the Quit Claim Deed in hand but have not filled out my portion of it yet because I have a slight problem.

I am in the midst of a legal situation to remove Federal Tax Liens against me on my credit report.

I don't want to accept the land and have it taken away from me (or have judgements against it). I only want the land to leave to my daughter anyway.

Is there a way that I could just put the land in HER name? She is only 4 years old. If there is a way, how would I go about doing it.

Or do you have another idea?

Kitti
**A: consult an estate/trust attorney. Do not quit claim the property to your 4 year old. One option would be to set up a trust with your child as the beneficiary and have mother deed the property to the trust.

JETX

KewlKitti said:

And another would be to be a mature, responsible adult and PAY your debts rather than try to figure out some way to continue being a leech on society.

HomeGuru

nextwife said:
Yes, DO talk to an attorney. In many places, a minor cannot directly own or deed real estate.
**A: and what places might this be? A minor indeed (pun intended) can own real estate but good luck in trying to sell it before the minor's age of majority.

Last edited:
K

KewlKitti

responsible adult and PAY your debts rather than try to figure out some way to continue being a leech on society.
i seriously don't think this was necessary - i am a responsible adult who had an ugly divorce 13 years ago with a divorce decree that stated i would handle all debt except the taxes and that was his portion - he didn't handle it and it's on my credit report - i paid off $70,000 worth of bills in one year after my divorce - i call that responsible

i am just trying to handle this situation before my mother passes so she knows it's been taken care of

wow - that was really uncalled for

to the others who offered help, thank you - i will consult an attorney, i did some research last night on trusts so i might go that route

kitti

HomeGuru

JETX, you're bad. And those ribs last night were bad too. Thanks for the invite.
I'll be over again for the good food and drink.

JETX

HomeGuru said:
JETX, you're bad. And those ribs last night were bad too. Thanks for the invite.
I'll be over again for the good food and drink.
Next time.... imu!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">