• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get out of a lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

UrgeGirl

I have signed a lease to begin on Aug. 1, 2000. I am unable to live there now. I found someone else to take my place on the lease. All of my roommates said it was OK except one, now they are all changing their minds about the new guy moving in. The landlord said it was OK for him to take my place but she needs signatures from the other tenants. I don't think they'll sign. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks, Shannon

T

Tracey

Why doesn't the one roommie like the replacment guy? Find a new replacement tenant. Point out to the others that you're not gonna pay any rent & they'll have to cover your share or get evicted. Furthermore, you can tell them that if they try to sue you for the rent, you'll argue that they didn't mitigate their damages by letting your replacement move in, so the shortfall is their fault & you shouldn't have to pay it. (You'll probably lose if this gets to court, but the others may not know that.)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">