• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i keep my sisters adult son from omving in a house ,she an i own an occupy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

If the house is now empty have all the locks been changed? did you want to rent it out to a non relative ?

sandyclaus

If both of you jointly own and occupy, then both you and your sister have the right to have someone move in. If your sister wants him there and you don't, then that's something the two of you will have to work out. Legally, unless he poses an immediate danger to himself or others, there is no way to prevent him moving in.

latigo

If the house is now empty have all the locks been changed? did you want to rent it out to a non relative ?
Obviously you know beans about the laws that apply to “estates in cotenancy” and are not qualified to respond to the cotenant’s question.

Perhaps you should read more and respond less. An example being the correct response from sandyclaus!

kathy burkett

If both of you jointly own and occupy, then both you and your sister have the right to have someone move in. If your sister wants him there and you don't, then that's something the two of you will have to work out. Legally, unless he poses an immediate danger to himself or others, there is no way to prevent him moving in.
thanks sandyclaus, wasnt sure if anyone would reply my brother is also part owner and lives in the hous with my sister who wants her addict son to move in ,her son will soon be getting out of hospital shot over drug activity she wants him to recoup. there so yes he is a threat to my brother and sister and me because i live 10 feet from them any legal advice for me and broth. would be greatly appreciated. we all 3 own 1/3 sorry for the mix-up

tranquility

As sandyclaus and latigo said (differently), each owner has a right of possession and can give it to whom they please. If there is a true "threat" (which I doubt), the remedy is to get a court order having the threat stay away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">