• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I raise chickens on my property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jz617273

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Recently, I have started to raise six chickens in my backyard. The township has just sent me a letter claiming that I am in violation of zoning laws which state that agriculture can only take place on land "not less than five acres in area."

However, in the same chapter of the township's code, a "Right to Farm" section states that:

"The right to farm all land is hereby recognized to exist as a natural right and is also hereby ordained to exist as a permitted use everywhere in the Township of West Windsor, regardless of zoning designation and regardless of specified uses and prohibited uses set forth elsewhere in this part."

It goes on to list the non-intensive production of fowl (like my chickens) as covered under this chapter.

Should I be able to keep my chickens? And if so, what should I do next?

Thanks so much for your help!

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Recently, I have started to raise six chickens in my backyard. The township has just sent me a letter claiming that I am in violation of zoning laws which state that agriculture can only take place on land "not less than five acres in area."

However, in the same chapter of the township's code, a "Right to Farm" section states that:

"The right to farm all land is hereby recognized to exist as a natural right and is also hereby ordained to exist as a permitted use everywhere in the Township of West Windsor, regardless of zoning designation and regardless of specified uses and prohibited uses set forth elsewhere in this part."

It goes on to list the non-intensive production of fowl (like my chickens) as covered under this chapter.

Should I be able to keep my chickens? And if so, what should I do next?

Thanks so much for your help!
Just one thread will do: please stick to this one. :)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You might check out the following forum:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

It's for people like yourself who have run afowl ;) of local zoning laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">