• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I record a conversation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamiimaj

I'm in Iowa.

I introduced a client to a commercial building.
Later, the client went around me to negotiate a lease with a different agent on the same building. Negotiation is not completed and I don't know who to go to first. The client is an ignorant friend and probably not ill intended but the agent is a turd and did know about the relationship.
I'm considering approaching the agent first and want to know if it's legal to record the conversation on the phone or in person?

seniorjudge

Q: I'm considering approaching the agent first and want to know if it's legal to record the conversation on the phone or in person?

A: Yes, if you get written permission from the person you are recording.

HomeGuru

I'm in Iowa.

Later, the client went around me to negotiate a lease with a different agent on the same building. Negotiation is not completed and I don't know who to go to first. The client is an ignorant friend and probably not ill intended but the agent is a turd and did know about the relationship.
I'm considering approaching the agent first and want to know if it's legal to record the conversation on the phone or in person?
**A: what is the problem? Are you entitled to a referral fee, commission or something?
If so. why?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in Iowa.

Just produce your written agency agreement...should be no problem, right? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">