• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sell part of my land to my business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mochabyte

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I own 3 acres and the zoning says I can only have one primary residence built on this land.

Can I sell one acre to my business and then build another residence on that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I own 3 acres and the zoning says I can only have one primary residence built on this land.

Can I sell one acre to my business and then build another residence on that?
Part of the process of selling that one acre would be splitting the lot in to separate lots. At that point, you should be able to build on both lots with no need for fancy footwork.

ETA: You should run this plan by the local municipality.

FarmerJ

one huge thing you didnt say much about is if this 3 acre lot has city water and sewer , that could be a reason that you might not be able to subdivide if your city or county requires larger parcels for private well & septic but all the information you would need to read up on regarding splitting your lot is free at your city hall or county govt center they have to let you see it etc its public information.

mochabyte

Thanks for your replies. This 3 acre plot has private well and septic. I was planning on doing the same for the new lot.

LdiJ

Thanks for your replies. This 3 acre plot has private well and septic. I was planning on doing the same for the new lot.
You would have to subdivide in either scenario. Either you would have to subdivide in order to create a second lot/plat or you would have to subdivide in order to sell a second lot/plat.

Therefore the focus of your research should be on subdivision.

If you can subdivide, you don't have to involve your business. (unless there is another reason to do so) if you cannot subdivide, then you cannot sell part of it to your business anyway.

mochabyte

My only reason to subdivide is to build another structure. I already have a residence on the 3 acres and I would like to build another residence. Zoning said no. Only a very small 2nd structure would be allowed. I'm looking into subdividing to see if that would change their decision. Looking into it on Monday. Thanks for your replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">