• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sublease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smartin80

My landlord says he has someone ready to lease my rental house (I'm through 6 months of a 12 month lease), but still wants $1300 for "expenses". My rent is $800/mo.; he has my $800 security deposit as well.

(Point of clarification: I am the one asking to be let out of our lease - I have purchased a home)

May be off topic, but the lease states that the time period of the lease shall be "3/01/2001 through 2/28/2000" - a factual error. I do NOT want to be a jerk about this, but I certainly don't see enriching him to the tune of $1300 when he is in fact out nothing.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

------------------
Smartin

[This message has been edited by smartin80 (edited July 31, 2000).]

R

repp

HUH???? I dont get it

YOU have a vaild lease and the landlord wants to kick you out and wants $1300 from you...

I would sue the pants of the landlord and demand HE PAY YOU $1300 + 800 security to void you lease.

NO landlord can evict a person with a valid lease, as long as you pay the rent.

===================================

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smartin80:
My landlord says he has someone ready to lease rental house (I'm through 6 months of a 12 month lease), but still wants $1300 for "expenses". My rent is $800/mo.; he has my $800 security deposit as well.

May be off topic, but the lease states that the time period of the lease shall be "3/01/2001 through 2/28/2000" - a factual error. I do NOT want to be a jerk about this, but I certainly don't see enriching him to the tune of $1300 when he is in fact out nothing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

R

repp

Didnt see your point of buying a house.....

The landlord is NOT entitled to any money except for advertising....and repairs out of your $800 security deposit.

He cannot charge 2 people full rent on the same apartment for the same month,

So when are you moving out, today, then you owe him ZERO, if he has someone to move in tomorow... and you are still entitled to your security back.

is that a better answer... the LL is NUTS!

=

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smartin80:
My landlord says he has someone ready to lease my rental house (I'm through 6 months of a 12 month lease), but still wants $1300 for "expenses". My rent is $800/mo.; he has my $800 security deposit as well.

(Point of clarification: I am the one asking to be let out of our lease - I have purchased a home)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L is in fact entitled to expenses with respect to re-renting the property. Such expenses must be documented in detail and may include advertising, credit check etc.

Your claim of the incorrect year on the lease agreement will not hold up as any kind of "reaching for the stars" defense. It is obvious that it was an error and the year 2000 comes before 2001.

The only way to win this argument is to use the "Back to The Future" X-File Millenium Deep Space Nine, Ten, Eleven Revised Statutes in Galaxia Court of the Infinity Circuit. No Jury Trial, No Holds Barred. Truth-in-Leasing Regulation Z Exempt. May the Force Be With You.

Jabba the Hut aka Pizza the Hut.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">